Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Committed to Activism.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, that’s terrible. That kinda useless violence makes me wonder why anyone wants to do that job anymore. We have become such a violent society.
    TT, true that, we have become a violent society. True that. What previous posters don't seem to realize, at least from my vantage point in the 85006? This street goes two ways - the violence goes two ways and the police are by no means innocent. Not at all. Not one iota. But most assuredly there is violence on the other side of the equation, too. I have never denied this. Rob

Yppej
    Don't police departments offer life insurance to their employees?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Don't police departments offer life insurance to their employees?
    If you mean if there compensation for families of officers killed or i jured, sure. But they are not rolling in it.

Y was probably thinking life insurance would be money they can use for the headstone. I also thought widows got pensions if spouses were killed in the line of duty.

Y was probably thinking life insurance would be money they can use for the headstone. I also thought widows got pensions if spouses were killed in the line of duty.
    Likely there is some ongoing income for the family of a dead police officer. They are not rolling in it. Perhaps citizens can express their sorrow and support for the family with donations?Is that ok?

That has not been outlawed—yet. The Robs of the world might like that restriction—a police officer shot in an altercation with a citizen may not get financial compensation of any kind for himself or his family IF he prevails in the shootout. Rob’s Law they could call it, his enduring legacy.

We always have fund raisers when police and fire personnel die. Which is fine. But we don’t do this when teachers, social workers, or nurses die. I’ve always found it a little heavy on the “first responder are heroes” line, when we don’t recognize the teachers, social workers, and nurses as heroes whose families also lost their income when they lost their family member.

These groups tend to occupy the same socioeconomic strata. And they all ate the “helpers” in our society.

But it’s probably explained by the historical division of labor - in the old days, men were first responders, and women were teachers, social workers, and nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    We always have fund raisers when police and fire personnel die. Which is fine. But we don’t do this when teachers, social workers, or nurses die. I’ve always found it a little heavy on the “first responder are heroes” line, when we don’t recognize the teachers, social workers, and nurses as heroes whose families also lost their income when they lost their family member.

These groups tend to occupy the same socioeconomic strata. And they all ate the “helpers” in our society.

But it’s probably explained by the historical division of labor - in the old days, men were first responders, and women were teachers, social workers, and nurses.
    not entirely true. There are multiple fundraisers going on here in St. Louis for a high school coach who was paralyzed when he was hit by a random bullet.

When you say “we” dont do this, is someone stopping you?

Yppej
    I am surprised people with dependents do not buy supplemental life insurance. When I was pregnant XDH and I were living paycheck to paycheck but I made sure to have a policy in place prior to the birth.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    not entirely true. There are multiple fundraisers going on here in St. Louis for a high school coach who was paralyzed when he was hit by a random bullet.

When you say “we” dont do this, is someone stopping you?
    Good point on the personal level. I choose to donate PTO instead of organize a big fundraiser.

However my observation of our society still is true. The collective “we” does not do this.

Alan, that’s terrible. That kinda useless violence makes me wonder why anyone wants to do that job anymore. We have become such a violent society.
    I would not work as a first responder on the mainland these days. We've had too many instances of firefighters and EMS people lured into ambushes by angry simmering people.

Thread Information