Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: BP and LDL

  1. #11
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,927
    Only for men that already have heart problems.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Only for men that already have heart problems.
    Something about that just doesn't add up to me.

    So before a guy has heart problems LDL is all fun and games. Then something -- totally unrelated to LDL -- goes wrong with his ticker. Then LDL starts beating his heart's ass? Come on. Not buying it.

    Smoking is only bad for men who already have lung cancer. Right. Got it!

  3. #13
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,927
    Read the studies.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Read the studies.
    They are probably funded by the egg yolk industry.

    "Don't worry about cholesterol until you already had your heart attack." LOL

  5. #15
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Something about that just doesn't add up to me.
    Me neither. I'm aware of a few studies from several years ago which found that higher LDL in men over 60 years of age had no significant impact on their longevity, but as a person with clogged arteries and a stent in his left anterior descending artery (the widowmaker), I'd question anyone promoting that view.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #16
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,803
    Apparently, Teacher Terry and I read the same studies. Nothing I have seen suggests to me that statin drugs have more than limited use, targeted to middle aged heart attack victims, while they have side effects ranging from cognitive decline and increased susceptibility to type 2 diabetes, to kidney failure, heart failure, and muscle weakness including rhabdomyolosis. They have no efficacy for women.

    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018...-heart-attack/

  7. #17
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Apparently, Teacher Terry and I read the same studies. Nothing I have seen suggests to me that statin drugs have more than limited use, targeted to middle aged heart attack victims, while they have side effects ranging from cognitive decline and increased susceptibility to type 2 diabetes, to kidney failure, heart failure, and muscle weakness including rhabdomyolosis. They have no efficacy for women.

    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018...-heart-attack/

    Are we talking about high LDL being bad for you or about statins being bad for you?

  8. #18
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Apparently, Teacher Terry and I read the same studies. Nothing I have seen suggests to me that statin drugs have more than limited use, targeted to middle aged heart attack victims, while they have side effects ranging from cognitive decline and increased susceptibility to type 2 diabetes, to kidney failure, heart failure, and muscle weakness including rhabdomyolosis. They have no efficacy for women.

    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2018...-heart-attack/
    Jane believes in studies she likes. She doesn't believe in studies she dislikes.

  9. #19
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Are we talking about high LDL being bad for you or about statins being bad for you?
    I'm in accord with SteveMN re LDL, but I'm generally a cholesterol skeptic who believes the key factor in heart disease is inflammation.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm in accord with SteveMN re LDL, but I'm generally a cholesterol skeptic who believes the key factor in heart disease is inflammation.
    What do you think causes the inflammation?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •