Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiling down balsamic vinegar

Boiling down balsamic vinegar

I usually buy organic Balsamic vinegar. I forget the brand. But I don't like how diluted it is. It seems more diluted than the non-organic counterpart, which is also pretty thin.
    Last christmas we got a bottle of pretty thick balsamic vinegar from a friend, and it was really good!
    But dang, the aged ones are thicker but much more expensive. So it hit me......just reduce the one you have.
    And it was really good. So...if you want a thicker balsamic vinegar, just boil it down for awhile.

Cathy: Good to know! You can also buy a balsamic glaze that is much thicker and not too expensive, but probably still more expensive than reducing your own balsamic vinegar.

I've made a balsamic vinegar reduction and from my standpoint it isn't idiot proof. Probably just takes a little more practice to get the consistency right. I didn't know you could buy a balsamic glaze, which is also a good thing to know.

Rogar: We first found it at Trader Joe's and our local grocer also has it, so it should be pretty easy to find.

What do you use either the boiled or glaze for?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've had it/used it in the following ways:
    Drizzled over cucumber rounds topped with boursin cheese
    Drizzled over caprese salad
    Drizzled over lettuce greens and feta crumbles
    On salmon filets

I was just introduced to white balsamic vinegar drizzled into seltzer to make a fabulous summery mocktail. Delicious and cheap.

I use the boiled down balsamic vinegar just for a salad dressing Ingredient.Or really in anything that I would use balsamic vinegar for. I just like the concentrated flavor and texture of the thicker stuff.

My local pizza place tops some of their pizzas with some fresh arugula and then drizzles a balsamic reduction over everything. I'm fairly certain they add sugar to the vinegar to make the reduction. It's an interesting combination and something I've tried a couple of times at home. It impresses company.

Quote Originally Posted by leslieann View Post
    I was just introduced to white balsamic vinegar drizzled into seltzer to make a fabulous summery mocktail. Delicious and cheap.
    Kind of like a shrub--very refreshing!

Thread Information