Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other oyster fanatics on here?

Any other oyster fanatics on here?

This past April my frolleague, Sam, took me to a place called The Pearl here in Columbus. It is an oyster bar with a Thursday night $2 oyster special. You can get them baked "Nawlins" style or beer-battered-and-fried or raw.

I went with him and got the Nawlins style and loved it!

Then in Croatia, on a whim, I ordered fresh, raw oysters. That first bite was AMAZING!

So since then I went back to The Pearl here in Columbus a few times.

They have these little oysters from Prince Edward Island that are an absolute delight. And the ones from Washington state are really, really good too.

I like how oysters are super simple, yet delicious. I always eat the first oyster naked -- and it is so good that way. With a little lemon juice freshly squeezed on they are even better. We are talking two ingredients -- oyster and lemon juice.

Any other oyster fanatics on here?

Me! I love oysters on the half shell with just a squirt of lemon, especially ones with nice deeply-cupped shells that you can drink the nectar as you swallow the oyster. Legal Seafood has a line to the effect of "eating our oysters is like kissing the ocean," and I think that describes it pretty well.
    I didn't used to like cooked oysters, but I have since learned to love a really good fried oyster. The challenge is that I've only ever found 3 places that have good fried oysters. One of these fried them in cornmeal, which was especially delicious.

There are two excellent oyster farms within a 15 minute bicycle ride from my house....

My daughter worked at one during her high school and college years.

I am spoiled.

I love oysters. Unfortunately, they do not seem to love me. My last two outings when eating them raw left me with gastrointestinal symptoms bad enough to scare me away from even trying again. Maybe it was a sanitation issue, though I am very careful about where I eat raw (shell)fish (one place was at a popular oyster bar in Seattle, where the freshness of the oysters should have been beyond reproach). It would be interesting to try cooked oysters sometime; perhaps that would make a difference.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Last month my daughter and I went to the tidelands up on Hood Canal (WA) and collected oysters and harvested Manila clams. SO good right off the beach like that! My husband asked for fried oysters so that's how we had them. The clams we had in a soup-y type conglomeration the next night.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I tried them with some of the sauces. And that is okay. But for my money, a squirt of lemon is all it takes on an oyster to go full-on foodgasm!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Last month my daughter and I went to the tidelands up on Hood Canal (WA) and collected oysters and harvested Manila clams. SO good right off the beach like that!
    Yum!!!!

So sorry that happened to you Steve. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I love oysters. Unfortunately, they do not seem to love me. My last two outings when eating them raw left me with gastrointestinal symptoms bad enough to scare me away from even trying again.
    Steve, you and I have the same allergy/sensitivity. After a round of research in San Francisco a few years back, I thought I'd have a dozen oysters and a glass of wine at the Embarcadero before heading out to the airport. Well. I had the middle seat of the last row of a sold out flight and as we started down the tarmac, I felt a wave of heat and sweat overcome me. I looked over my shoulder, grateful that the rest room was about 3 feet away. I wound up spending the entire 5 hour Transcontinental flight in the airplane bathroom. It was hell.

So while I was languishing in misery in that bathroom, I had an "aha" moment. The time on our honeymoon in Acapulco when I had oysters, got sick, but chalked it up to Montezuma's Revenge. The time on our 10th anniversary celebration in New Orleans when I had oysters, got sick, but chalked it up to the Hurricane I had on Bourbon Street.

Now I was seeing a pattern, and like you, I have stayed away from oysters ever since.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have had enough flirting with oysters to know that they may make me sick so I don’t even try them anymore. We’ve never had fresh ones here in flyover country anyway, at least decades ago when I would still try them.

Thread Information