Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long distance walking?

I take a walk for 30-60 minutes each day with my dog.

But I do wonder what it would be like to walk a real distance, through interesting places, like from Toledo to Cleveland mostly along Lake Erie or from Jacksonville to Miami along the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Walking is my principal form of recreation. I'm hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago next year after I retire.
    Ambitious! Very cool. Are you Roman Catholic?

Walking is my principal form of recreation. I'm hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago next year after I retire.
    OH! I want to do that too!!!!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

My sister is going to walk the Camino this summer! And my new boss's boss did it a couple years ago when he was between jobs. I'd never heard of it before and now it seems like I hear about it everywhere...

Personally I've been looking seriously into walking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. The whole thing is more than I would care to do, but I'd like to start at Yosemite and spend a month or two headed north. Perhaps as far as the Oregon border. The idea of completely separating from my day to day life for a period of several weeks to focus on something like this is definitely appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Ambitious! Very cool. Are you Roman Catholic?
    I'm not RC, but the Camino has become very popular with walkers of all stripes because it has such as well-developed tourist infrastructure. You can rough it and stay in the pilgrim hostels, but there are also lots of B&Bs and hotels and other more upscale options. So it's a way to do a distance walk through lots of interesting areas, regardless if you have a spiritual purpose.

I loved the movie - The Way with Martin Sheen.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Old Post but jumping in, I have studied the North Country Trail since it runs up through MI. I have hit small sections of it just day walking. SO rural I am not that brave sadly.( we currently have a lady missing from a trail I walk through almost daily ), I am currently virtual walking the USA. Walking is so stress relieving for me the longer the walk the farther the stress disappears.

My little dog and I walk about 7km or 4 1/3 miles a day every day and love it. I get an idea in my morning meditation and reflect on it during the walk. I visit with other regulars as we pass by each other.

Love watching the seasons come and go and all the gradual changes taking place. On Tuesday, I chuckled at the sudden thought that I was coming out of hibernation as my enthusiasm increased with hearing the different bird songs, saw that the trees were budding and it felt as though the world was waking up.
    I have about 5 different routes all within an urban setting in our small town where I feel safe at all times. I have my cellphone with me as well. When friend is free to walk, we will return to the old rail trail.
    Dado has interesting thoughts about his walks and discoveries.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a similar routine to Razz. Last night I was walking and hadn't gotten too far when I bent down and picked up something that looked really interesting, some form of vegetation. It had a neat shape, fanlike, with distinct brush-like patterns. I kinda stroked it for a minute as I walked and realized it was just part of a fir tree that had blown down and run over multiple times by car tires. Still, it was neat to appreciate it visually for that moment.

Later on in the walk, I found a number of what looked like plastic packaging bags on the ground and I picked them up. I ended up filling them with trash and by the time I got home the bags filled my trashcan halfway!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Interesting to see this thread resurrected. I was all set to walk to Camino last year after my planned retirement in the summer. Bought the guidebook, and in fact was scoping out airfares the very day before my company closed its offices on March 11, 2020, with an eye on leaving in late August-early September.

I'd still like to do it, but there are several stumbling blocks. Worsening back problems, aggravated by being trapped indoors so much of the time, have made walking more than a few miles a day problematic. I embarked on physical therapy for the back issues last fall but decided it was prudent to suspend treatment until after the winter surge subsided. Now that I'm vaccinated I'm starting the therapy up again.

The other obvious issue is that travel to Europe will likely continue to be risky, probably well into next year. But maybe by the fall -- we'll have to see.

Thread Information