Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long distance walking?

I take a walk for 30-60 minutes each day with my dog.

But I do wonder what it would be like to walk a real distance, through interesting places, like from Toledo to Cleveland mostly along Lake Erie or from Jacksonville to Miami along the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Walking is my principal form of recreation. I'm hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago next year after I retire.
    Ambitious! Very cool. Are you Roman Catholic?

Walking is my principal form of recreation. I'm hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago next year after I retire.
    OH! I want to do that too!!!!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

My sister is going to walk the Camino this summer! And my new boss's boss did it a couple years ago when he was between jobs. I'd never heard of it before and now it seems like I hear about it everywhere...

Personally I've been looking seriously into walking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. The whole thing is more than I would care to do, but I'd like to start at Yosemite and spend a month or two headed north. Perhaps as far as the Oregon border. The idea of completely separating from my day to day life for a period of several weeks to focus on something like this is definitely appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Ambitious! Very cool. Are you Roman Catholic?
    I'm not RC, but the Camino has become very popular with walkers of all stripes because it has such as well-developed tourist infrastructure. You can rough it and stay in the pilgrim hostels, but there are also lots of B&Bs and hotels and other more upscale options. So it's a way to do a distance walk through lots of interesting areas, regardless if you have a spiritual purpose.

I loved the movie - The Way with Martin Sheen.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information