Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facial recognition technology - good or not?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    My concern is that an image can be captured and planted on another's body in a situation where I have never been or encountered.
    There is no way a corporation or a government would ever let this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    There is no way a corporation or a government would ever let this happen.
    UL, I am assuming dry humour but if you truly believe this, I have this spot for a bridge across the middle of Lake Erie that needs investors.....
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My concern is that an image can be captured and planted on another's body in a situation where I have never been or encountered. Images are evidence.
    I heard a presentation just last week on the rapid pace of development of fake imagery technologies.

I suspect within a year or so, images will no longer be evidence. It's so terribly easy to fake now, and it's getting rapidly easier.

UL, I am assuming dry humour but if you truly believe this, I have this spot for a bridge across the middle of Lake Erie that needs investors.....
    You should probably go to Room 101 too.

Watch this and feel the anxiety.

We all, except ultralite, carry a tracking device in our pocket everywhere we go. I wonder what he’s trying to hide?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We all, except ultralite, carry a tracking device in our pocket everywhere we go. I wonder what he’s trying to hide?
    I pay for things in cash too, almost exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I pay for things in cash too, almost exclusively.
    Don’t worry. I’m sure the ubiquitous security cameras and license plate cameras are doing a good job of keeping track of even the most nefarious people such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Don’t worry. I’m sure the ubiquitous security cameras and license plate cameras are doing a good job of keeping track of even the most nefarious people such as yourself.
    Kinky!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm split down the middle on facial recognition technology. Recently at Dulles International, facial recognition technology caught a Central African Republic national travelling on a fake French passport - the traveler involved had his real ID from the CAR in one of his shoes. I'm down with facial recognition technology in this case - phony passports scare me, the whole concept of them I find very alarming, especially after that Malaysian Airlines flight that went down several years ago.

On the other hand, I don't trust American police overall not to abuse this technology - look at how the international spotlight is shining on Phoenix as I post this due to our recent police brutality brouhaha that was Thank God videoed. I don't trust local police departments with this technology, not one iota, but interestingly enough at the border and at airports I'm down with this being used as I can see there is a legit and practical, common sense reason to use it there. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 6-21-19 at 11:28pm.

Thread Information