Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facial recognition technology - good or not?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Don’t worry. I’m sure the ubiquitous security cameras and license plate cameras are doing a good job of keeping track of even the most nefarious people such as yourself.
    Yet another reason I'm glad I lead a car-free existence! I hadn't thought of this reason before and it's so obvious....I feel grateful but behind the curve on this one. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yet another reason I'm glad I lead a car-free existence! I hadn't thought of this reason before and it's so obvious....I feel grateful but behind the curve on this one. Rob
    How do you live car-free in PHX?

it's plenty problematic. but this:

and having our preferences and proclivities tallied and used to direct our consumption.
    i've always thought is truly a waste of time with me. You may as well hit on a nun for sex, you may as well push a cow burger on a PETA vegan.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    How do you live car-free in PHX?
    As you know, I live in the 85006, very close in to downtown. I am not far from the light rail and the bus lines on McDowell Road, 24th Street, and Thomas Road. I am within walking distance of a low priced Hispanic Grocery Store, and there is a good thrift shop with fair prices and frequent clearances eight blocks away from me, that delivers furniture or appliances in my area for $10. It's not easy, especially in the Summer to be car free in Phoenix, but I've pulled it off for many years and would not care to have a car at this point. It does help that I live so close in to downtown and major transit links, though. Rob

I bet Uber helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I bet Uber helps too.
    Yes, you are very much right on this. I remember once I was able to snag a Christmas tree in great shape for $10 from the above mentioned thrift shop and Uber is how I got it home. Uber can be a wonderful help in living car free, yes indeed. Rob

Right now our 2 paid for cars only cost us 60/month for insurance and registration each. One tank a gas a month usually. If one dies we may just use Uber and have one car.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I heard a presentation just last week on the rapid pace of development of fake imagery technologies.

I suspect within a year or so, images will no longer be evidence. It's so terribly easy to fake now, and it's getting rapidly easier.
    Don’t we already live in an era of “deep fakes”?

Could general mistrust of images mean an end to cell phone vigilantism? Or will we simply choose to believe what we want to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

Could general mistrust of images mean an end to cell phone vigilantism? Or will we simply choose to believe what we want to believe?
    This is happening! We do already live in the era of "fake news" and out-right lies from folks standing down on the corner of Main Street, USA all the way up to the White House! People are already choosing what and who to believe, and basing those beliefs on who-knows-what - cause actual facts don't seem to matter any more!

Very scary times.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Today's news story:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/tech/...-ai/index.html

Thread Information