Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fabric shrunk 5 inches!!

fabric shrunk 5 inches!!

I have been working on these curtains for a retreat center since i went last summer. The curtains bugged the crap out of me, they were on broken rods and had other issues. So I talked to the people who run the place and started on the project. I went up with some and got a request for a special curtain. I also wanted to do 4 rooms with simple 50X50 windows. I am going up tomorrow morning.

So I have the long window ready, the hardware for the 3rd bathroom, and the super special curtains. I got the hardware for the 4 other windows and some fabric with a 50% off coupon. It was 13 yards so I cut it into panels before pre-washing with 9 inches for the top pocket and hem, planning on a 1 inch rod.

It shrunk, not just a little but a LOT. 5 inches each panel. Which means I need to do some major creative moves to make them work. I had the project at work because I needed a really large table. I went to work early and was able to do over an hour of sewing. I still had some tonight when I measured the fabric to figure the hem and realized it was too short now.

I talk about all the exciting creative things I do, and I don't share how nervous I am when I do projects like this. I don't know if they will like the fabric or style or hardware at the retreat center. I am not sure anyone will notice the work that went into it. And then if something doesn't work it takes such a long time for me to get back up there. I know that anything they needed that was very specific we did talk about. I manage my depressive episodes pretty well but I also have been having a low week that I am working with.

Yppej
    Hope you feel better soon.

I remember you talking about these curtains. So sorry.

I got a request for curtains for a 'hobbit hole' at this retreat center and I am happy with those. It is a room without a door or the means to put a door on it. So I made 2 quilted panels and they are going on a tension rod to cover the opening.

And some food is slowly helping the mood but I am tracking this week.

Some disappointments really hurt. So sorry.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Always prewash fabrics when it matters. And especially if you're buying at Joanns (your 50% off coupon is the tipoff). Their fabrics are notorious.

I'd go back and find a matching solid and make a large casing up top with some fabric above the rod pocket and it will look intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Always prewash fabrics when it matters. And especially if you're buying at Joanns (your 50% off coupon is the tipoff). Their fabrics are notorious.

I'd go back and find a matching solid and make a large casing up top with some fabric above the rod pocket and it will look intentional.
    She DID prewash it.

She DID prewash it.
    I think Gardnr meant pre wash before cutting into panels. ZG cut it to size, then washed them and they shrunk.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I think Gardnr meant pre wash before cutting into panels. ZG cut it to size, then washed them and they shrunk.
    Oh doh. Yep.

That's a bummer Zoe. What kind of material was it, and what temp did you use to prewash? I, too, think maybe you should have prewashed the whole piece first.....but don't know if that made that much difference.
    Gardnr had a good suggestion.

Thread Information