Thread: Tell me if it's funny.

Tell me if it's funny.

So, I'm waiting in the Denver airport for the time when I can board my red-eye, and just goofing around on the computer. On Facebook, becoming minimalist posted this meme:

Kellerman.jpg

I thought it was cute, but had never heard of Paige Kellerman, so I googled her, and found her blog.

I was drawn in for a short time, until I felt I was about to embarrass myself by laughing uncontrollably. Yes, I'm fatigued after a long day, but I think she is genuinely funny. However, I'm afraid to test the waters while I'm out in public. Last time I embarrassed myself was back n the 70s, when I couldn't stop my outbursts of laughter on the MetroNorth commuter train while reading James Herriott's All Creatures Great and Small. I'm not going to risk that again here in the United Club.

So, tell me if her blog is as funny as I think it is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

As someone who has just cleaned out a pile of receipts, I feel somewhat rueful about the evidence. Each was an essential part of my existence at present. Sometimes people can say something in a short sentence that coves it all, this is one of them. It does make one laugh though at the cleverness of the facts of the summary.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Well I burst out laughing after I read it, So Yep I think it’s very funny.

I think it's funny, but it doesn't make me laugh out loud. Dave Barry is usually the only one who does that for me, although sometimes Dave Sedaris gets me too.

Nothing wrong with laughing outloud in a public place. Wouldn't the world be a kinder gentler place if we all laughed out loud now and then?

It was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think it's funny, but it doesn't make me laugh out loud. Dave Barry is usually the only one who does that for me, although sometimes Dave Sedaris gets me too.
    I think Sedaris is funnier than Barry, but I do like Barry tho it has been a long time since I read his stuff. I think it is David Sedaris’s delivery that makes him extra funny. Because I have heard him enough on the radio,
    I can now hear his writings in his own voice.

In real life Barry is like a little kid, always making wisecracks. I spent a day with the Rock Bottom Remainders many years ago, his rock band. They were in town for a fundraiser.

Agree with Gardnr that a little more laughter in this world would be a good thing!
    IL: We saw Sedaris live 10 years ago and yes, his delivery is great. I think a day with Dave Barry would be a blast, although the little kid analogy makes me less enthusiastic.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking maybe I was punch-drunk for even starting this thread. (I didn't even have one glass of free wine in the United Club). But I love to laugh, and some writers really make me laugh out loud. I agree with the comments about Barry and Sedaris. I used to love Erma Bombeck in the old days. I thought this unknown Paige Kellerman was really funny, too. Her description of the old curtains, and attacking the bug with hair spray.... so identifiable!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine: I thought of Erma Bombeck too. Also Shirley Jackson, who wrote a couple of humorous books "Life Among the Savages" and "Raising Demons." I read them forever ago, but I recall them as being quite amusing and a far cry from "The Lottery" and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle."

Thread Information