Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job application/interviewing disappointments

Job application/interviewing disappointments

As I mentioned, I was declined the job at the University down in NC.

This is despite making it all the way through the interviews, the background check, and the reference calls.

Now I am waiting to know if universities in IL and MD are interested in hiring me.

I have been through a bunch of interviews. The one in IL called all my references on Monday. The one in MD asked for my references and for writing samples on Monday as well, which I provided.

But I have not heard a peep from them since Monday.

Probably not a good sign. More likely a bad sign.

I put a ton of time and work into finding another job. And it is looking like I am coming up empty handed. This is really damn depressing.

So I have to face another year at my my current job, which is just chock full of problems and dysfunction.

Probably 2-3 people made it all the way through and then they made a choice. Universities are slow so you are not out until you hear officially.

No way you are out of the running. It takes ages to hire people. You are in vacation season where everyone who has a piece of the hiring process is going on vacation, actually on vacation, or coming back from vacation.

I was probably the fastest hiring manager in my organization and that is because I made open positions top priority. My colleagues did not. I watched positions open and stay that way for months. Ridiculous. Any decent candidate moved on to other jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No way you are out of the running. It takes ages to hire people. You are in vacation season where everyone who has a piece of the hiring process is going on vacation, actually on vacation, or coming back from vacation.

I was probably the fastest hiring manager in my organization and that is because I made open positions top priority. My colleagues did not. I watched positions open and stay that way for months. Ridiculous. Any decent candidate moved on to other jobs.

My apartment lease ends July 14th. At which point I need to:
    1. Have another lease signed here in Columbo and abandon these unresolved job prospects
    2. Couch surf with sister and friends (hoping that these job prospects resolve rapidly).
    3. Get real minimalist so I can store my stuff in my car, let my sister watch Harlan for a month or two, and get an Air BnB until these job prospects resolve, and then find long term housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My apartment lease ends July 14th. At which point I need to:
    1. Have another lease signed here in Columbo and abandon these unresolved job prospects
    2. Couch surf with sister and friends (hoping that these job prospects resolve rapidly).
    3. Get real minimalist so I can store my stuff in my car, let my sister watch Harlan for a month or two, and get an Air BnB until these job prospects resolve, and then find long term housing.
    UL, I think you should eliminate option #1 above.

You have Flexibility that most Americans don’t have —you can move on a dime. That is a great place to be, that your house full of stuff does not control what you do.

It seems to me that you should not renew your lease. You should take Action #2 for a while, not too long to make yourself and Harlan unwelcome, then move to action #3. Give yourself 6 months in this limbo, then if no new job appears, sign a lease in Columbus.

It seems to me that if you are getting close to the hiring process in these several jobs, you have a decent chance at getting a new job. But of course if you were paying a lot out-of-pocket for interview expenses that is a limiting factor right there.

Trying to time it new job with the end of the lease seems super difficult to me.

Can you go month to month on the lease?

I agree with IL and Tammy. In another thread you were contemplating whether you wanted to move out of the apartment anyway. You have so little stuff that you have plenty of options that don't involve tying yourself to that apartment for another year.

It's a shame Ohio isn't like California. Here the standard is that a new lease is typically for a year and then it switches to month-to-month until you leave. Every May we get a letter from our landlord advising what the annual rent increase is. Since we've lived in our current place over 9 years if we want to leave we'll just have to give a month's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Can you go month to month on the lease?
    Only for one month, and that is subject to landlord special approval.

I understand. When I saw the signs in my last job I started looking, and then looking in earnest. It doesn't happen quickly or easily, and is almost a part time job in itself to search. I would treat it more like a learning experience half marathon.

I found a roommate through this Silvernest website. It was very easy and we could even do background checks if needed. Some people do the roommate thing for a short time, some places are more furnished than others that are more of a bare room. I agree with not signing another year lease.

Looking for a job is frustrating and too much the emotional rollercoaster. But you've been making good progress on a couple of them, so keep going!

I know you wrote that you could only go month-to-month for one month, but I don't know where that came from. Is there a possibility you could informally go month-to-month for longer? If the housing market for your kind of apartment isn't that strong, they may be open to keeping you there for a few months longer rather than let the apartment sit just based on policy. If your long-term direction is out of the apartment and maybe even out of Columbus, I definitely would not sign another year-long lease.

I like IL's advice on this. You have options. Poking around a little in this area could be of real benefit to you.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information