Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republicans sure are sore losers

Republicans sure are sore losers

I get it, walkouts by legislators are a common tactic. Democrats have done it before. Republicans have done it before. But now in Oregon there is a state senator publicly threatening violence against anyone, up to and including state police, who tries to bring him back to Salem. Over a weak-ass cap and trade bill. Of all the issues to act like a little child over. Seriously. And the USA hating militias have announced their intentions to support him in his efforts to kill anyone who dares try and get him to do his job.

It's not like the republicans are a party of ideas anymore, so I suppose none of this is a surprise. All these losers have going for them is painting their political opponents as criminals and threatening violence. And thanks to their party's leader it's likely to remain this way for the foreseeable future. Don't be surprised after the democrats win big next year to hear lots of talk about it being a coup that ought not be recognized or some such BS.

A legislator acting like a spoiled baby is annoying, and he aint doin the job if he refuses to go to work. Vote him out.

Picking that one tiny example (tiny in the world of spoiled legislators, aldermen, etc.) and applying that behavior to castigate a whole group of people is on you.

The part that makes him special is his willingness to resort to violence to get his way. And that his constituents, interviewed by a local tv station, are mostly cool with that. Just as montana s were cool with electing a congressman that attacked a journalist. So, no, this isnt just one instance. Republicans have a violence problem fueled by their party’s violent leader.

If any democrat resorts to calling for violence because they didnt get their way i will vociferously call them out and would expect decent republicans to do the same for their party.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The part that makes him special is his willingness to resort to violence to get his way. And that his constituents, interviewed by a local tv station, are mostly cool with that. Just as montana s were cool with electing a congressman that attacked a journalist. So, no, this isnt just one instance. Republicans have a violence problem fueled by their party’s violent leader.

If any democrat resorts to calling for violence because they didnt get their way i will vociferously call them out and would expect decent republicans to do the same for their party.
    Jp, be realistic.

is it at ALL reasonable for ANYONE to “bring him back” to ANYWHERE against his will? You cannot possibly be ok with physically picking up a human and transporting him, against his will, to Wherever, Oregon.

I assure you that I would also be putting forth all the physical violence I could summon should anyone remove me in a bodily way and transport me. That is kidnapping.

For the record, I agree with the legislator, basing my opinion entirely in the words of your post.

Is this kidnapping caper likely to happen?

When an equally ridiculous attempt to force texas
    Democratic Legislators to return from oklahoma to vote on redistricting happened a few years ago none of them suggested shooting the texas state police if they attempted such a thing.

Personally i’d rather not live in a banana republic where the people with unpopular ideas use violence to force them on people. Republicans seem to disagree with me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    When an equally ridiculous attempt to force texas
    Democratic Legislators to return from oklahoma to vote on redistricting happened a few years ago none of them suggested shooting the texas state police if they attempted such a thing.

Personally i’d rather not live in a banana republic where the people with unpopular ideas use violence to force them on people. Republicans seem to disagree with me on that.
    I guess we are just old and bored, sittin here at home on a Saturday night.

Can you lay out for me what the “ridiculous attempt” of kidnapping Democratic legislators in Texas was? I do not want to google. If you want me to play with you here on a Saturday night, you have to do the work. The rule is you must objectively describe this attempt.

I guess 6:30 qualifies as evening. In fact it's about time to fire up the grill, open up a nice cabernet, and start making dinner.

The current brouhaha:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...o-capitol.html

Apparently the Oregon constitution does, in fact, allow the majority party to compel legislator attendence:

Oregon’s constitution allows the majority party to “compel” the attendance of absent members of the legislature. The process is rarely used, though.

And the Texas ordeal a while back:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...s.legislature/

I wonder what actions are ok to “compel” legislators to return. i dont like the sound of it.

just vote them out. That is responsible citizenry. Dragging someone kicking and screaming into the statehouse is wrong on so many levels.

same for the Texas event.

One of the local tv stations interviewed a number of his constituents. They didnt seem to be big law and order types. All but one thought this was great, even the threat of violence. So he won’t likely get voted out over this.

He’s also got the support of a couple of anti-American terrorist groups, so he won’t even have to do the violence. Undoubtedly some militia idiot will happily die over preventing a cap and trade bill from getting voted on.

At the end of the day the law is the law. If he doesnt like what the state constitution says he should be working to change it, not defy it.

And if i were the democrats my next bill would be one that requires legislators to pick up their paychecks in person at the capital. No more direct deposit.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I read about this oneline. I spent five years of my life living in SE Portland from 1991 to 1996. Portland was a good fit for me in the sense that at least at that time it was affordable (unlike now) and very liberal. The Willamette Valley, which is in Western Oregon from Portland straight down the state to past Eugene, is where the bulk of Oregon's population lives and most of it is very liberal. But cross over the Cascades and it's like you have entered Texas outside of Austin.....very redneck and very conservative and completely unlike Western Oregon/The Willamette Valley.

I can totally see something like this happening in Oregon as the divisions there are day and night, extremely stark, and were even when I lived there - it's just that the seems of society were not quite as frayed in the early to mid 90's and people tended to behave themselves better. At any rate, I will keep up with this story......sure a crazy situation, though. Rob

PS Should Portlanders ever identify by zip codes as we do where I live - my zip in Portland was 97215.

Thread Information