Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderberries!

Elderberries!

I love elderberries. I used to make elderberry jelly, but now I just make the syrup, which is good on things like yogurt, ice cream.
    Even though the heavy rain and cooler temps has seemed to slow my garden down quite a bit, everything on our 33 acres has loved it. It's a jungle out there!
    The elderberry bushes have gone crazy this year. YAY! Now, if I can just beat the birds to the ripe berries, I'll have syrup.
    Here's a pic of one that has taken over a small area in our back yard.

IMG_1836.jpg

DH has his eye on several elderberry bushes along the road in Hermann. He plans to make something, probably syrup.

I've planted 3 over the years, one is struggling and two have outright died. I did have a couple of years of good harvests before the two shrubs died. I'm guessing they need more sun than they are getting.

Hurry! I had a beautiful cherry tree and every year the birds got them all. I hope you get a lot of berries

When I was younger (20's), and living in an apartment/rental house, I would go along the railroad tracks, where the elderberries grew like crazy, and pick those. Later, I realized that they probably sprayed heavily along the rail line.
    Oh well.......I'm still here. haha

I'm not sure how much sun they need. On one of my cart rides through our field and woods, I'll notice more if they grow in the shade too.
    I always found it curious that the birds would eat the green berries. Sometimes they do leave a few for me, fortunately.

I used to try to pull each berry off, but now I clip off the big end branch of the berries. I shake out bugs, then rinse them with water in a big container. I cut the biggest parts of the stems off and put them just like that in a big pot. I heat them up and and press on them. I can't remember if I add a little water. I keep the lid on so they get steamed. Then I pull them all out after they've all wilted and put them into a cheesecloth and let it drip into the pot. They say you shouldn't squeeze the bag because it will make the juice cloudy........but I go ahead and squeeze it a bit. Then I take that syrup and add some sugar and cook it down a bit.

It's not a flavor that everyone likes, but I sure do!

Elderberry pies at local community fundraisers go quickly. A friend cuts off the big spray of berries, rinses and then freezes it all. In the winter, she defrosts on a very cold or housebound day and makes her jams which she gives as gifts which are well-received.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hmmm.....never thought of freezing them like that.
    My mother made an elderberry pie when I was young, but it wasn't a big hit. Too many seeds in them thar berries!

Dry some too to make tea in the winter or use fresh (or dried) to make a tincture. Elderberries have medicinal powers to reduce or eliminate colds and flu.... a winter MUST-HAVE!!!

frugal-one.....thanks for that suggestion.

Yesterday I went for a 17-mile bike ride on forest trails in Vilas County. I made mental note of locations where I saw the inflorescences of elderberries. Must return to those spots with a basket in the fullness of time!

i

Thread Information