Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I realize cruelty is the point

I suspect the cost is high because what company would want to be associated with this disaster happening? There are a couple that are run on a profit is all and damn those who care basis. There was an expose on one company awhile ago.

Same thing about the people who are hired to work in such places. You are not going to get highly qualified and trained child care workers. I would even go so far as to say their background checks are suspect. It is purely! a profit making enterprise.

It doesn’t cost that much money to provide what little they do to these kids. People are getting rich. The solution is to keep the kids with the parents and provide the basics. Our prisoners are being treated better. Thankfully UL no one I am friends with feels that way.

I am so angry and horrified. I made my ACLU donation this morning and I set it to monthly.

Just in case there is anyone who still doesn’t think that the cruelty is intentional. Donations of soap and the like are being turned away.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...oothpaste.html

Of course it's intentional. See Stephen Miller. Evil incarnate, IMO.

To me it seems eminently practical and cost effective to keep unsolicited donations from the public out of this. You would have to have a facility to accept, sort, and store all donations. Crap loads of it would have to go to landfills because people are going to give what they are going to give, so that means they’re going to give teddy bears and knitted blankets and whatever random shit they have laying around their house or feel like buying at the ‘mart to make themselves feel good.

I see it all the time around here in my city in dumpsters behind shelters and church feeding stations.

Also, there is the danger aspect of accepting used toiletries for this migrant population. You don’t know how they would be spiked

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    To me it seems eminently practical and cost effective to keep unsolicited donations from the public out of this.......
    I think we both know by now that there's no room in these highly emotional discussions for reasoned discourse on logistics and best practices. Those overactive empathy genes can't absorb it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    To me it seems eminently practical and cost effective to keep unsolicited donations from the public out of this.
    Based on my experience and training in disaster response, this is quite true. Mountains of donated goods and self-deployed volunteer labor tend to cause huge logistical pains in the bleep.

I think IL makes a valid point about donations. What are they spending 775/kid on every night? They can afford the basics but intentionally choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What are they spending 775/kid on every night?
    GQ Magazine reports that an anonymous source from Health & Human Services says it costs $775 a night at temporary shelters, NBC News says it costs $259 per night at permanent facilities and as of a few months ago, ICE says it costs approximately $139 a night for the all-in cost at permanent facilities.

Commentators seem to prefer the higher, unsourced number.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information