Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I realize cruelty is the point

The germans weren't initially focused on mass killings either. But it's important to remember that Ann Frank died of typhus, not in a gas chamber...

https://apnews.com/5a49d65213b54043825acc282830b139

Just in case anyone still doubts that the cruelty absolutely IS the whole point. A border agent used homophobia to humiliate a vulnerable migrant. Other agents saw and laughed. A senior agent refused to take action.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/ho...rol/index.html

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Just in case anyone still doubts that the cruelty absolutely IS the whole point. A border agent used homophobia to humiliate a vulnerable migrant. Other agents saw and laughed. A senior agent refused to take action.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/ho...rol/index.html
    I don't know what to say here, jp1. On the one hand, I am starting to agree that we can't take the whole world in and I do believe there is something to be said for coming here legally - the old fashioned way (though this takes a long, long, long time these days I'm told).

On the other hand, what have we sunk to as a nation if our Border Agents are getting kicks from embarrassing migrants, mocking migrants, making fun of them, taunting them.....I realize not all Americans support this. Much as many posters here would tell me not all cops are like the ones I post on and on and on about, I get that not all Americans support this.

That said, what does it say about us as a nation that some Americans do support this behavior? What does it say about US CBP that this behavior is not immediately checked? What does that say about us as a nation that this behavior from front line government personnel is not immediately squelched? I don't like the answers I am coming up with.

And I don't see how this problem is going to go away.......Maybe just for today the best I can come up with is that I and the people dear to me in my life are not like this and not only would not support this behavior but would call it out. I feel that's not enough but today that's the best I can do. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    . Other agents saw and laughed. A senior agent refused to take action.

The CNN article says:

"The witnessing agent took the note to the senior agent in charge that night but the senior agent took no action, the emails said."

So the agent in charge that night of the center did not do anything. However it also looks like the incident is moving up the food chain:

"a CBP official told CNN, "I am forwarding to the Office of Professional Responsibility, the office charged with looking into these allegations.""

So, perhaps higher-level CBP folks will do something.

I think I've posted previously the tale of the regional CBP guy here who injured our community? While telling us he was here to protect us by herding us through barbed wire/chain link enclosures every time we went to the mainland on the state highway's ferry system, he was at the same time, with his wife, raping a young girl from the community that they had "fostered". When this came to light, his higher-ups at first transferred him out of the jurisdiction, Catholic-Church-style....

So, I have....feelings....about CBP management. The front-line officers I've worked with here seem reasonably decent though.

Immigration is a huge problem because we cannot take everyone yet people are legitimately fleeing gangs and violence. I don’t have a manic answer but I do know we should treat people decently especially the children.

And now we learn that the head of CBP has been a member of the odious facebook group for years. Not gonna hold my breath waiting for any real change anytime soon.

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/12/...nts=1#comments

Thread Information