Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I realize cruelty is the point

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s true. In last year’s convocation at the Palace of Malice we decided immigration policy should take priority over climate change or online dating as a misery maximizing strategy.

All hail the Dark Lord Cheney!
    is that what you voted for at the convention? I favored the proposals for gender identity persecution and promotion of harmful-to-the-earth mining operations.

See, even us Repubs are not one monolithic voting block.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The republicans have gotten so weak at creating policy ideas that the best they could do for immigration was kiddie koncentration kamps?
    You know, gubmnt institutions can be and often are mediocre-to -awful.

i never understand why ya’ll want the impersonal omnipotent hand of government to run everything.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/doct...ry?id=63879031

I guess this is what republicans mean when they blather on about family values.

• the teens spoke of having no access to hand washing during their entire time in custody. She compared it to being "tantamount to intentionally causing the spread of disease."
    • Many teen mothers in custody described not having the ability to wash their children’s bottle.
    • And children who were older than 6 months were not provided age-appropriate meal options, including no pureed foods necessary for a child's development, Lucio Sevier reported.
    • lawyers for the Trump administration last week argued that providing basic necessities, like soap, was not a requirement of the Flores agreement. Three judges on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals repeatedly asked if the lawyers if they were arguing that "safe and sanitary" did not include the ability to sleep soundly or use soap.
    • At the Clint facility, Binford described conditions that included...guards creating a "child boss" to help keep the other kids in line by rewarding them with extra food.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You know, gubmnt institutions can be and often are mediocre-to -awful.

i never understand why ya’ll want the impersonal omnipotent hand of government to run everything.
    Corporations are much less cruel. Just look at America's private prisons! Talk about a success story.

IL, I don’t find any of this to be worthy of sarcasm. Kids are dying in custody and we are taking better care of animals in shelters than kids. It’s beyond reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, I don’t find any of this to be worthy of sarcasm. Kids are dying in custody and we are taking better care of animals in shelters than kids. It’s beyond reprehensible.
    I use sarcasm to ridicule policies and comments I dislike or disagree with.

There are protests scheduled for July. If people showed up in Hong Kong numbers, I bet something would change. https://www.lightsforliberty.org/

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thank You, TT. Rob

IL, I don’t find any of this to be worthy of sarcasm.
    Sure you do, the title of the thread is sarcastic but something you seem to agree with so you obviously find some sarcasm to be worthy. It might be more appropriate to say you don't care for sarcasm which counters the approved variety, or perhaps the witty sarcasm which counters the mean spirited variety.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Actually I didn't intend the title to be sarcastic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/

We can hear the spectacle of cruel laughter throughout the Trump era. There were the border-patrol agents cracking up at the crying immigrant children separated from their families, and the Trump adviser who delighted white supremacists when he mocked a child with Down syndrome who was separated from her mother. There were the police who laughed uproariously when the president encouraged them to abuse suspects, and the Fox News hosts mocking a survivor of the Pulse Nightclub massacre (and in the process inundating him with threats), the survivors of sexual assault protesting to Senator Jeff Flake, the women who said the president had sexually assaulted them, and the teen survivors of the Parkland school shooting. There was the president mocking Puerto Rican accents shortly after thousands were killed and tens of thousands displaced by Hurricane Maria, the black athletes protesting unjustified killings by the police, the women of the #MeToo movement who have come forward with stories of sexual abuse, and the disabled reporter whose crime was reporting on Trump truthfully. It is not just that the perpetrators of this cruelty enjoy it; it is that they enjoy it with one another. Their shared laughter at the suffering of others is an adhesive that binds them to one another, and to Trump.

(links to the original stories are in the article)

Thread Information