Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I realize cruelty is the point

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What is “this?”

To respond to your question calmly and collectedly, I would like to see everyone here in this country be here through legal means.
    To respond to your comment calmly and collectedly, am I correct in understanding that you do not care how children are treated if they have come to our country without specific paperwork that makes them ‘legal’ .

And do i also understand correctly that you do not consider the legal asylum process as codified in US law, which many of these children have used, to be an acceptable method of entering this country?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I so agree. I don’t care if they spend $20 a day or $750. Wrong is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It seems all of could agree on one thing - children should not be kept in cages, should not be denied clean clothing and diapers, and should have adults and not other children looking after them.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My theory is that people with advanced empathy genes really enjoy displaying them. Misleading news reports make them happy and as long as there's a market for misinformation, it will be filled.
    my theory is people can be unbelievably cruel and gleeful when other people suffer. Even innocent children. As long as they have theirs no truth will disrupt their way of thinking.

Yppej
    Studies have shown empathy typically only extends to "us" and not "them". In their book the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Tutu write that the challenge of spiritual growth is learning to extend the circle of one's compassion to all humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    .... it’s condescending for you to assert that empathetic people are disingenuous.
    I must have gotten it wrong, I was trying to imply that condescending people are often disingenuous when they constantly assert that others lack empathy. Sorry!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    To respond to your comment calmly and collectedly, am I correct in understanding that you do not care how children are treated if they have come to our country without specific paperwork that makes them ‘legal’ .

And do i also understand correctly that you do not consider the legal asylum process as codified in US law, which many of these children have used, to be an acceptable method of entering this country?
    Well, jp, not really.

Edited to add: now that I have more time I can be more precise.

It is not true that I “do not care how how children are treated. “

It is not true that I “Do not consider the legal asylum process… To be an acceptable method of entering this country. “
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-27-19 at 12:46pm.

I wonder how many people feel the same way as IL. We need to follow our laws which we are not doing. How many of our ancestors were desperate to escape horrible conditions and came illegally like my mom’s grandfather? Also some of these countries are now unstable because we had a hand in that. Thankfully I don’t know anyone not very upset by what is happening. I can be friends with Republicans that voted for trump but never someone that thought what we are doing to children is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I wonder how many people feel the same way as IL. We need to follow our laws which we are not doing. How many of our ancestors were desperate to escape horrible conditions and came illegally like my mom’s grandfather? Also some of these countries are now unstable because we had a hand in that. Thankfully I don’t know anyone not very upset by what is happening. I can be friends with Republicans that voted for trump but never someone that thought what we are doing to children is okay.
    And how about going upstream a bit and addressing what is driving them up here in the first place: corruption and gang violence.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    OK, thanks for the input.

I can understand the confusion, if you look to the left of this post, you'll notice the big black glasses where blinders would normally be. Those are readers which I find useful for looking more closely at things others won't. I'll keep those if you don't mind.
    When was your last exam? They are not working.

IL, I just saw your updated post. It seemed odd to me when I read your first response. I was probably typing mine same time as you.

Thread Information