Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifestyle experiment because I am 40 next month...

Lifestyle experiment because I am 40 next month...

I have been very lightly kicking around the idea of doing a year long lifestyle experiment for year 40.

But I am really at a loss for good, at least semi-original, ideas.

How many more years do you pay on your student loan(s)? Not that this has anything to do with your quest for a lifestyle experiment.

Experiment: Exercise (for real) NN minutes a day, 30 < NN < 90.

Huge results within weeks.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Eat 1 ingredient foods for one year

example: chicken, spice, potatoes,olive oil, green beans. , butter, apple, nuts, egg

out: Big Mac, shake and bake chicken, cliff bar, bread, boxed cereal

Idea#2 buy no one use plastics like bottled water or meat on a tray wrapped in plastic.

Idea#3. Find a way to bring in more income to better your financial status.. ie Uber, part time second job etc. I did this when I was fourty (second job on weekends) when I had two kids heading to university. After five years they both graduated with low student debt and we had paid off all our debt including mortgage.

I have been working on #1 and it’s tough but like Bae’s idea, huge results within weeks. Plus it will help prevent or lessen the lifestyle diseases that creep up in middle age of hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How many more years do you pay on your student loan(s)? Not that this has anything to do with your quest for a lifestyle experiment.
    I still have 5.5 years of my 10 year sentence to serve. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Experiment: Exercise (for real) NN minutes a day, 30 < NN < 90.

Huge results within weeks.
    Not a bad idea.

Currently I work out MWF. I do 20 mins light cardio and then about 40 mins of moderate weight baring.
    7 days a week I briskly walk my dog at the park for at least 30 minutes.

That is all my exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Eat 1 ingredient foods for one year

example: chicken, spice, potatoes,olive oil, green beans. , butter, apple, nuts, egg

out: Big Mac, shake and bake chicken, cliff bar, bread, boxed cereal

Idea#2 buy no one use plastics like bottled water or meat on a tray wrapped in plastic.

Idea#3. Find a way to bring in more income to better your financial status.. ie Uber, part time second job etc. I did this when I was fourty (second job on weekends) when I had two kids heading to university. After five years they both graduated with low student debt and we had paid off all our debt including mortgage.

I have been working on #1 and it’s tough but like Bae’s idea, huge results within weeks. Plus it will help prevent or lessen the lifestyle diseases that creep up in middle age of hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity.
    These are some good ideas for sure. A lot to think about...

We walked a half marathon for our 40th. My goal was 3h 30m. We came in at 3h 26m. I was a happy camper....and that was 18y ago

At 33 we set a goal to be debt-free by 50th. Made it by 48. CCs first, then vehicles, then home and cabin. the works. Not a penny interest paid since then!

Choose a project or injustice outside the USA and work to correct/promote and enable the implementation of it. I know that there are many needs in the US that need attention but think beyond that to the common needs that people around the world need. Clean water is one.
    You're smart, research the options to make a difference that you can look back at with pride of accomplishment when they are done and when you are 80 years old.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Choose a project or injustice outside the USA and work to correct/promote and enable the implementation of it. I know that there are many needs in the US that need attention but think beyond that to the common needs that people around the world need. Clean water is one.
    You're smart, research the options to make a difference that you can look back at with pride of accomplishment when they are done and when you are 80 years old.
    So true. We have always supported local needs as there are so many here at home. However, 3y ago, we started buying a community water well through Compassion International as part of the family Christmas gift in my family exchange. (each single or couple adult draws 1 single/couple which keeps us connected but not gifting trinkets).

Thread Information