Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifestyle experiment because I am 40 next month...

I really dig these suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I really dig these suggestions!
    A random practice my father gave me this year:

Each day I simply try to have a conversation with someone I don't know, and learn something interesting about them.

It has certainly helped my mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    A random practice my father gave me this year:

Each day I simply try to have a conversation with someone I don't know, and learn something interesting about them.

It has certainly helped my mindset.
    I learned that from my older brother too. It is amazing what you can learn. Or just ask "what is exciting in your life?" Or find something nice to say to someone every day AND MEAN IT. It changes ones perspective.

Also, you are working out but have you REALLY checked into what you should be doing for exercise. I have recently joined a gym (first in my life) and met with a trainer. Who, in my opinion, was not worth his weight in salt. I ordered all kinds of books about exercise and will ask what all the machines are at the gym and figure out my own workout schedule. When I have that figured out I will ask to be shown how the machines I need work. I have a few issues that need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I learned that from my older brother too. It is amazing what you can learn. Or just ask "what is exciting in your life?" Or find something nice to say to someone every day AND MEAN IT.
    Exactly. The key is to be present, sincere, and mindful when you do this, and not slip into just pleasantries.

Also, you are working out but have you REALLY checked into what you should be doing for exercise. I have recently joined a gym (first in my life) and met with a trainer.
    Yes, good point. My fire department provides some good trainers and guidance, and subsidized access to gyms and gear. Also the local bicycle merchant sells me bicycles and accessories at cost, which helps :-)

These are all wonderful ideas! I was going to suggest one or two, but they have already been posted. Good luck finding something to focus on. I've been trying to do the reduce/eliminate plastic. Now that I'm focusing on it, I'm shocked/amazed/surprise/etc at how inundated our society is with plastic!!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Give up sugar and/or alcohol for a year.

I find I have a lot more energy and don't struggle so much with depression or anxiety when I'm off sugar.

This summer, I've had to abstain from alcohol because of a health issue, and it's been tougher than I expected, but it's also forced me to work through a lot of emotions I might in the past have tried to tranquilize away. And it's nice to avoid the bad hangovers I had 5-10 times a year before.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Give up sugar and/or alcohol for a year.

I find I have a lot more energy and don't struggle so much with depression or anxiety when I'm off sugar.

This summer, I've had to abstain from alcohol because of a health issue, and it's been tougher than I expected, but it's also forced me to work through a lot of emotions I might in the past have tried to tranquilize away. And it's nice to avoid the bad hangovers I had 5-10 times a year before.
    UL cant give up alcohol. He is a teetotaler.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post

Interesting!

I have always said that if I had a magic wand I would turn all alcohol into water in perpetuity. I think that the first 2 weeks after waving the wand would be especially intriguing and, sometimes, amusing.

I enjoy alcohol (mostly wine) on a fairly regular basis, but I do think objectively that it's something the human race would have been better off without.

Thread Information