Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I confess....

I do fruit pies when produce is in the right season. Recently a friend gave me a large amount of rhubarb, and that has been a favorite this year. Blueberries. I have a couple of favorite apple varieties that my local fruit stand has in season. Peach pie is about as decadent as they get, and I could usually get a couple of cherry pies from my tree until it died a couple of years ago. Fresh cherry pie was a delight. I use a crust recipe that uses canola oil instead of butter or shortening, so maybe get a small health reprieve. Most of the recipes I run across use way too much sugar, which I think masks some of the fresh fruit flavor and can be way too sweet. Being mostly vegan I have to steer clear of ice cream, but there are some half decent vegan ice creams for a special treat on warm pie.

Roger, could you please share the canola oil pie crust recipe? I am now making minimuffins using oil instead of butter and loveing the result.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Canola oil is heavily processed, and--like all industrial seed oils--a contributor to chronic inflammation. I'd go with butter or lard, saturated stable fats and similar to your bodily energy stores. Peach pie does sound good!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Canola oil is heavily processed, and--like all industrial seed oils--a contributor to chronic inflammation. I'd go with butter or lard, saturated stable fats and similar to your bodily energy stores. Peach pie does sound good!
    I can eat olive oil in moderation. Butter and lard rapidly turn me into a strung-out junkie! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Roger, could you please share the canola oil pie crust recipe? I am now making minimuffins using oil instead of butter and loveing the result.
    Sure. I am pretty much a self taught crust maker, so I don't know how much is common knowledge. There is something about butter, shortening, and lard that makes for a flaky crust a person will never get with canola. I have read the science about it but have forgotten, but can come close with canola and some good technique. The trick is to keep everything cold and work the dough as little as possible. I put the oil in the freezer for an hour or two and the water in the fridge. The dough comes together faster for me with a large spoon rather than a pastry cutter, mix the oil with the flour first to a lot of pea sized pieces and then add the water. Refrigerate for an hour or longer in. I like to form it into two discs and let it warm a little before rolling out, with seems to work the dough less. I've used up to half whole wheat pastry flour, but would start with all white.

2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup cold canola oil
    1/2 cup cold water

I'll stick to this being healthier than the solid oils, but there are some choices a person can make and I suspect, and by experience, butter, shotening, or lard will generally give better crusts. I'd rather not go there. I use expeller pressed canola and suspect it could work with other lightly flavored oils or maybe even olive oil.

Anyone make Montmorency cherry pies? I hear they're very tart, but I have a tree in the back yard and would like to try a pie. I do like rhubarb, so I'm not opposed to tart, but wondering how people sweeten it up? Add other berries?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Sure. I am pretty much a self taught crust maker, so I don't know how much is common knowledge. There is something about butter, shortening, and lard that makes for a flaky crust a person will never get with canola. I have read the science about it but have forgotten, but can come close with canola and some good technique. The trick is to keep everything cold and work the dough as little as possible. I put the oil in the freezer for an hour or two and the water in the fridge. The dough comes together faster for me with a large spoon rather than a pastry cutter, mix the oil with the flour first to a lot of pea sized pieces and then add the water. Refrigerate for an hour or longer in. I like to form it into two discs and let it warm a little before rolling out, with seems to work the dough less. I've used up to half whole wheat pastry flour, but would start with all white.

2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup cold canola oil
    1/2 cup cold water

I'll stick to this being healthier than the solid oils, but there are some choices a person can make and I suspect, and by experience, butter, shotening, or lard will generally give better crusts. I'd rather not go there. I use expeller pressed canola and suspect it could work with other lightly flavored oils or maybe even olive oil.
    If you're going to use canola/rapeseed oils, expeller-pressed is the way to go. I think naturally-saturated fats are the healthiest, but avocado or light olive oil are acceptable.

Strawberries with sour cream and a little brown sugar. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Anyone make Montmorency cherry pies? I hear they're very tart, but I have a tree in the back yard and would like to try a pie. I do like rhubarb, so I'm not opposed to tart, but wondering how people sweeten it up? Add other berries?
    These specific cherries are known to reduce inflammation (also contain melatonin to help with sleep). Dry or tincture them for medicinal use later???

I am in western Colorado now eating loads of just picked cherries - naked - the cherries that is.

Thread Information