Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool campers and tricked out trailers!

Cool campers and tricked out trailers!

Hey all of you who have campers and such, let me live vicariously through you!

Post some pics, share some stories, make me green with envy.

I'd like to hear about your experiences (good and bad) with living that nomad life -- full time, part time, or just on weekends.

CEB5314C-1DED-44D9-AA0D-94E6960A8937.jpeg

Here is a a pic of our old camper trailer. It was a 1964 Streamline. Unfortunately it was totaled in a hail storm. No more camping for us.

We are looking for a mini-camper, and I'd love to get a used Happier Camper or Airstream Nest.

They're above my budget, but they are cool!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I liked the prototype Airstream Nest, but not the one they actually came out with. The prototype had a shelf across one side with folding chairs that could fit underneath. The actual one has a solid cabinet, making it less flexible, and more closed-in/crowded.

Most of the trailers/motor homes I've seen so far either aren't my aesthetic (colors/fabrics/cabinet colors), or have storage /everywhere/ for those people who have to bring everything with them and therefore feel crowded. I have more of a minimal aesthetic. I'd like to see more trailers with murphy beds, so the space is opened up the rest of the time when you aren't sleeping. I've only seen those on the high end price wise. Other than sprinter vans, I don't find much geared to just two people, there's the assumption of at least 4 people and their stuff.

The Airstream Basecamp is the closest to what I like as far as aesthetics, but they went just a bit too far in the no storage direction: they only have hanging nets for your items which I find more cluttered looking than a simple cabinet. It'd be ok for a weekend but not any longer than that- but that plays in with their targeted millenial customer for this model.

We bought a 1993 Winnebago motor home 11 years ago with low miles from a friend. Everything is plastic and is breaking just from age. Sometimes it’s only a rolling tent. It’s expensive to fix. It’s fine for short trips but on long ones the gas costs a fortune and private RV parks are expensive. Because it’s old we don’t have slide outs. Last year we took a 4K month trip with 4 dogs and took the car. It was much cheaper to stay at motel 6, eat meals out instead of cook then taking the RV. We have used it more as a guest bedroom.

This is my 28' motorhome sitting on the beach in North Carolina's Outer Banks. We've spent 3 of the last 4 Christmas breaks in that very same spot.

Over the last 10 years we've traveled from border to border and coast to coast, exploring 39 states so far. We've filled our National Parks Passport with stamps and will need to get another this year. We've rafted most of the top white water rivers in the US but focused mostly on the New and Gauley Rivers in WV to get our white-water fix. We've visited American Revolution and Civil War sites all along the East and Gulf coasts. We've taken the grandkids to Yellowstone and Yosemite, the Everglades and along every mile of the Natchez Trace. We've slept in National and State Parks, Commercial RV parks, WalMart parking lots and truck stops as we've taken several long weekend trips per year along with at least one 3 to 4 week trip during the summer.
    Every time we hit the road it's a new adventure. I think everyone should give it a chance.

We're currently considering replacing the motorhome with a travel trailer. When traveling in the motorhome we need alternate transportation once we reach our destination. We've traditionally pulled our motorcycle on a trailer and used it although sometimes we rent a car for a few days wherever we are. Now that we're thinking of traveling up to half the year, we're thinking a travel trailer pulled by a pickup or SUV would make better sense. There's a very good chance we'll pull the trigger on that transition this winter.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, DH wants to travel your way during the 3-4 months we want to flee the Vermont weather, but I'm not sold. I still work, and my work entails having a reliable phone system. Also, I want a mini-camper, not a big deluxe one like you have (28' is longer than our house). And could DH and I endure that much togetherness? IDK.

There is definitely some appeal to traveling the country for 3-4 months at a time, but I don't know if I'm ready yet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Catherine, after looking at the units you mentioned, I think concerns about too much togetherness are valid. Those are some small campers.

When we move over to a travel trailer, the proper layout is our number one concern. This is the floor plan for the one we'll probably go with.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Catherine, the trailers you mentioned are way too small. Even ours at 27 ft is small because there aren’t any slide outs. Basically you have to be standing up, in bed or sitting at the booth. We know a few people that upgraded to newer ones and still have issues because things shake lose when you drive. We have had flooding when hoses came loose. Everything is expensive to fix because of the unique size. Our refrigerator quit working and when we looked at the price it’s ridiculous.

Yeah, the reason for the mini-campers is because our first objective is to provide a "guest house" for people coming to VT (and that includes my DS34 who comes up every day off). But we have a small plot and we also have neighbors who probably don't want to stare at a 30' RV in our yard. Our secondary objective would be to use it ourselves. I really think that 17-20' would be the biggest I would consider for another "thing" sitting in our yard. We already have a house, pergola, storage shed, lawn mower shed and workshed-- all on less than 1/4 acre.

Thread Information