Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Job offer in Baltimore

If the increase take home salary covers the additional expenses AND you have less travel cost to get to those places on your list AND more time to get to those places...... you'r above a breakeven point. I don't see a downside. Go for it!

The more I look into the more I think B-more is just too pricey for a workin' man like me. If I was married and moving with a spouse, yeah, I could do it.

But it is looking like a financial sink. I would need to make $62,000 to keep my standard of living.

I might get more vacation time, but I would have no money to buy plane tix or Air BnBs.

No one else has mentioned it so I will venture to raise the question. How do you know that any other similar activity office will be less dysfunctional? What have you heard that makes you willing to consider a new location and position?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    No one else has mentioned it so I will venture to raise the question. How do you know that any other similar activity office will be less dysfunctional? What have you heard that makes you willing to consider a new location and position?
    Well, I don't know that a different office would be less dysfunctional. I only know that the one I am in is bad. And Several of the people in my office that I really liked have left or are seriously trying to leave too.

It is often a mistake to stay in a crappy situation because other, unknown situations might be crappier.

I will roll the dice.

At this point I feel like I am going to decline the Baltimore job and just go for broke with the job near Chicago. When I visited them and did the interview everything just felt so much better.

I have increasing levels of uneasiness about the Baltimore job.

Personally, I think youíre making the right call. The misery you might encounter is no reason to stay with the misery youíre already living with for another 20-30 years.

And itís just my opinion, but to paraphrase an old movie line Iíd rather be a lamppost in Chicago than King of the Eastern Seaboard.

Yeah, going with your gut is a good way to go. I really believe that if they weren't going to entertain your counteroffer they would have said so right away, or soon thereafter. I think they're discussing it and will let you know (hopefully soon).

Now practice saying "Chicaaaago"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I officially turned this one down... I turned down the Baltimore job.

Here's to hoping this wasn't a horrible idea...

Thread Information