Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Congratulations and good luck.
    Thanks, and I might need it! haha

Having recently ended one career and begun a new one in a new place, I know it can be both exciting and disturbing. And I have the advantage of a financial safety net that makes failure an option.
    Very cool! I did not know. So congrats to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Besides wanting to know if your responsible with money, enough to handle the companies, they want to know that they (the employer) won't start having all kinds of expenses, dealing with your lack of gumption. (garnishments cost accounting fee's and if you don't have the get up to tackle things, what makes you think you would tackle things at work)

As to Facebook, well I would want to know if they are talking about work stuff they shouldn't be, seem to be sue happy, etc. (and if you put it out there, you put it public)
    I understand that if you are in the financial sector, that might be relevant (MIGHT--one could argue that our "billionaire" Commander in Chief is not that fiscally responsible--with his bankruptcies, would he be denied a job?)

But if anyone looked at my credit report in 1998 when I was taken out of the typing pool and given a great entree position as a market research analyst, I surely would not have gotten that job. But I argue that my financial status made me a very good employee. It is argued that one of the reasons Henry Ford wanted to extend credit to his employees to buy cars was because they were handcuffed to the job to pay the debts. That's where I was at that time--I was a PhD (Poor, Hungry, and Driven). I was desperate to get out of debt and so I worked my a$$ off. I think it's presumptuous to believe that an employee with bad credit is a bad employee. It simply is not relevant IMHO.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When my dad worked at IBM many years ago, you could be fired for adultery. “If you’ll cheat on your wife, you’ll cheat your company.”

good luck ultralight!

CL, that’s crazy.

Have we really changed that much from the days when people were fired for adultery, or have we just redefined moral turpitude? Google fired an engineer over his heterodox views concerning diversity. A corporate CEO got canned for making a contribution to the wrong side of a ballot initiative. A law professor lost one of his university posts for serving on the defense team in a sexual harassment case.

Have we really changed that much from the days when people were fired for adultery, or have we just redefined moral turpitude? Google fired an engineer over his heterodox views concerning diversity. A corporate CEO got canned for making a contribution to the wrong side of a ballot initiative. A law professor lost one of his university posts for serving on the defense team in a sexual harassment case.

Good points here.

At work I will just have to be very careful about my language and never express any views that might be controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    At work I will just have to be very careful about my language and never express any views that might be controversial.
    Probably wise. Especially in a campus setting, where the thought police seem to be the most active.

If everything goes well tomorrow (Friday) is my last day at my current job. haha

Today I am packing up my apartment, like FREALZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    If everything goes well tomorrow (Friday) is my last day at my current job. haha

Today I am packing up my apartment, like FREALZ!
    super good news!

Thread Information