Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

Yesterday (Thursday) I got a job offer from a college an hour outside of Chicago.
    This job would be considerably better than my current one
    Current job vs. Small town outside Chicago job
    $50k vs. $58k
    15 days vacation vs. 25 days vacation

Retirement is the same; benefits are the same.

Here is the catch. When they called, I asked if they could bump it up to $60k. The lady said she would discuss with her manager and call me back. She did not call back on Thursday. She did not call back today (Friday). So I just called her a little while ago to let her know I am still interested and wanted to discuss the position further. I left a message on her voicemail saying such. Looking back... this was probably a bad idea. But I wanted to discuss with her the timeline she had in mind for me to start because the Baltimore job wants my final answer by Monday at 9am. This job near Chicago is the one I really want, but I would probably settle for the Baltimore job if this near-Chicago job does not work out, for some reason .

Thoughts?

Its Friday before a holiday week, things are going to move slowly. Your negotiation was not necessarily a bad thing.

Curious is the job in Wisconsin or the other direction? If you were going to negotiate salary I would have done it on the Baltimore job. This job was a better job in all ways. I would have just taken it. Hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Curious is the job in Wisconsin or the other direction? If you were going to negotiate salary I would have done it on the Baltimore job. This job was a better job in all ways. I would have just taken it. Hope it works out.
    I should have taken it. But I did not know they were just going to ghost me.

Nothing I can do about it now if they did indeed ghost me.

And I did negotiate the Baltimore salary. They originally offered me $51k. I asked for $58. They said $52 or F yourself.

So I said: "Lemme think it over until Monday."

They said: "Let us know by 9am."

I agree that the negotiation didn't necessarily kill the job. Maybe they had to escalate the counter-offer and the other person isn't available today.

The only bad thing is you have to decide on the Baltimore job by Monday am... I would accept Baltimore (if you want the job) and then renege if Chicago comes through.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I would accept Baltimore (if you want the job) and then renege if Chicago comes through.
    Yup. That is good advice. And I will probably do that.

I am really kicking myself for not just taking it on the spot. WTF was I thinking?

We all do stupid stuff. I have done what Catherine suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We all do stupid stuff. I have done what Catherine suggests.
    The thought of another year at my current job -- especially when I have come so close to getting a better gig -- is going to send me into a real depression, I think.

I don't see any harm in negotiating for a higher salary. I can't imagine pulling an offer based on the candidate asking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes View Post
    I don't see any harm in negotiating for a higher salary. I can't imagine pulling an offer based on the candidate asking for more.
    Agreed. Hope we are right!

Thread Information