Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Agreed. Hope we are right!
    Thanks, I hope you all are right too.

Agree, if you are their top candidate, the worst that will happen is they will just let you know that salary cannot be increased. Hope it works out, we are rooting for you!

Now that Monday has passed, I am curious whether an offer has been accepted, and if not, what offers are still open?

UL in no way my blathering below mean anything specific to you, it is just general observations about the state of Illinois.

When we were looking around for a place to move, at the time it was conceived of as a weekend house but possibly a permanent place, DH put his foot down NO about Illinois. He doesnt put his foot down about much. Illinois has been ravaged by liberal and money grafting politicians based in Chicago.

There are some wonderful old Illinois cities just across the river from us in St. Louis. Alton for instance has fabulous architecture, many old big houses that sit on large lots. It’s a great town but it is a decaying town. And the real estate taxes are so God awful I can’t believe it. I also looked at the village of Elsah, small city Belleville, and farming community Highland. Each had attractions for us.I have also been horrified about how downtrodden and decaying the wonderful town of Springfield Illinois is. Springfield is another fabulous old town but the politicians and economic decay have taken a toll on it. The topography of Illinois is pretty flat ( rich farmlands,) but that doesn’t bother us because we are from Iowa.

But in the end we ended up in Missouri and I’m glad we did.

If UL is an hour outside of Chicago he is still likely in suburban land. The rural vs big city divide in our midwestern states is pretty severe. I live in the economic engine of Missouri, St. Louis. You will will move to a place where Chicago is by far the economic engine of that state, but out staters have decided opinions about Chicago.

In my formative years and during many of my adult years, Illinois was similar to Iowa, but richer. It was considered that you moved up in the world when you moved to Illinois from Iowa. That is no longer the case.

Relocating from your present home to a more urban community could involve increases in the cost of living (in conditions that are satisfactory to you). There are relocation calculators on-line that compare the average cost of living between pairs of cities -- but beyond that, I think I would want to investigate the cost of specific houses, condos, or apartments in particular neighborhoods that would appeal to you.

Going from $50,000 to $58,000 in Chicagoland is a bump of 16%, to $60K would be a bump of 20%

Going from $50,000 to $52,000 in Baltimore is a bump of 4%... unless the increase in the cost of living in Baltimore, compared to your current location would be less than 4% it is not an attractive offer, in my opinion.

Non-economic factors may outweigh the economic, ie, a spouse who is demanding that the family moves to another town.

Intrigued by that idea, I found a calculator and plugged in a Seattle to Portland scenario. Imagine my shock and surprise to find that the cost of living in the Portland Metro area is 16.35% higher. Who would have thought--because, as far as I can tell, Portland housing is cheaper. Or maybe I'm just reading the wrong ads, where $700k condos are routine.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Now that Monday has passed, I am curious whether an offer has been accepted, and if not, what offers are still open?
    Today is Monday where I am at. And morning no less. So I still know nothing.

I am really wondering what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Intrigued by that idea, I found a calculator and plugged in a Seattle to Portland scenario. Imagine my shock and surprise to find that the cost of living in the Portland Metro area is 16.35% higher. Who would have thought--because, as far as I can tell, Portland housing is cheaper. Or maybe I'm just reading the wrong ads, where $700k condos are routine.
    Portland has become ridiculously expensive in the last 5y and Seattle more so. You have to live quite rural in the NW for it be affordable these days. And then the wage is low.

If I don't hear anything today from the near-Chicago job then I am probably going to give up on this one and go on to Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Portland has become ridiculously expensive in the last 5y and Seattle more so. You have to live quite rural in the NW for it be affordable these days. And then the wage is low.
    The "Seattle more so" was what I was expecting, so seeing that percentage took me by surprise. Fortunately, I'm not dependent on a wage, and my house is paid for, so I have something to work with. Still, I can't believe these prices are sustainable. I'm looking in Beaverton, where I used to live, and the Seattle Eastside, where I live now.

Thread Information