Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

I’d hold off on plan B until end of the week at least. Business decisions move slowly especially in large government type bureaucracies. We are making job offers this week from interviews a month ago. We’re not usually that slow, but we hit a few budget surprises ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I’d hold off on plan B until end of the week at least. Business decisions move slowly especially in large government type bureaucracies. We are making job offers this week from interviews a month ago. We’re not usually that slow, but we hit a few budget surprises ...
    I will wait for them to tell me no.

But I will also say that if I do not hear back from them by next Monday (July 8th) afternoon I am going to email the hiring manager and let her know that the HR person simply stopped communicating with me. I don't want the hiring manager to think I am the one who dropped the ball.

Here’s hoping you hear in the next day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Here’s hoping you hear in the next day or so.
    Thanks. I really think the HR lady is on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The "Seattle more so" was what I was expecting, so seeing that percentage took me by surprise. Fortunately, I'm not dependent on a wage, and my house is paid for, so I have something to work with. Still, I can't believe these prices are sustainable. I'm looking in Beaverton, where I used to live, and the Seattle Eastside, where I live now.
    I've lived in Clark County (across the river from Portland) nearly my entire life, worked here all my career, have roots here. But looking at the situation here, and retiring in 2020, I believe I will have to move elsewhere to have a good quality of life. It's ridiculously expensive. I would love to live on the Key Peninsula, but it's too expensive, too.

My hometown had a population of 600 when growing up. Now, it's the fastest-growing city in the state. The population is nearing 9,000. Everyone wants to live in "the countryside." Bleccch. Cookie cutter housing.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post

My hometown had a population of 600 when growing up. Now, it's the fastest-growing city in the state. The population is nearing 9,000. Everyone wants to live in "the countryside." Bleccch. Cookie cutter housing.
    While there isn't a big population surge up here on the island, there is new housing going up. When my realtor was working with me I told her specifically I didn't want a house that I could have bought easily in any new development in NJ. That's why I love my house. It truly is quirky and I like it that way. I'm not fond of "little boxes on the hillside little boxes made of ticky-tacky" where they all look just the same.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My original hometown was a beach resort with a population of around 350. Small towns are marginally more appealing to me now that we can buy supplies on line, but only marginally.

I would like to avoid the "ticky tacky," but I might as well embrace it, since I'm looking at suburban stock. There are whole hillsides in Beaverton covered in that crap. I'm not ready to go that far; my target sites are older neighborhoods.

My house was custom-built, which renders it "different," if not efficient (no two houses are alike in this neighborhood). I love it here, but even the condos are priced out of my league. The idea is to downsize. after all.

KayLR: what areas are you considering?

Kay, if you own your house doesn’t that set your basic expenses much lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Kay, if you own your house doesn’t that set your basic expenses much lower?
    I don't own my own house right now.

Jane...I'd love to live in Poulsbo, but...$$
    we've also thought about going out to Ohio. I know. But DH's family lives there. I've gone back to do genealogy there and it's so beautiful in Monroe County.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information