Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Job offer in small town an hour from Chicago

The Midwest certainly has a lower cost of living, but Poulsbo is delightful. Go with your heart, as much as you can.

Yeah. All my eggs are in this basket.

But if nothing materializes from this, then lesson learned: Don't get too greedy.

I have most everything except the bare essentials and my work clothes packed.

A frolleague of mine, who has her own condo with a spare room, is going to let me store my boxes of stuff (should be about 6 medium boxes) there. She says for free, but I will pay her a nominal fee.

It has been a few days now that I have had this stuff packed up. It is really not a bad way to live. It is more minimalist than I have probably ever been.

So when I move into a sublet or a rented room or whatever, until I get this job situation somewhat situated, I will be living out of my rucksack.

The offer is back on. I started the on-boarding paperwork yesterday (Friday).
    If this paperwork is acceptable I could be starting a new job on Aug. 19th.

But as crazy at this has been I am not counting my chickens until they hatch. I feel like any little thing could stall this or even pull the plug on it because the of the experience I have had so far.

I should know more by Tuesday (but again, with the way things have thus far gone... who knows!?).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The offer is back on. I started the on-boarding paperwork yesterday (Friday).
    If this paperwork is acceptable I could be starting a new job on Aug. 19th.

But as crazy at this has been I am not counting my chickens until they hatch. I feel like any little thing could stall this or even pull the plug on it because the of the experience I have had so far.

I should know more by Tuesday (but again, with the way things have thus far gone... who knows!?).
    Good news!

It's a step in the right direction! Good luck with it, UL!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

That's great UL! Hope it all works out and you enjoy your new location and job.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

So interesting to watch folks on here go through big life changes. My turn next but not just yet...

UL, don’t give notice until you have the new job offer in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    UL, don’t give notice until you have the new job offer in writing.
    I don't know how this offer could get more official. They offered formally over the phone, I accepted over the phone, they sent an email acknowledging my acceptance and sending me credentials to log in to their system and start the onboarding paperwork. I have done so.

My concern is that there could be a glitch in the paperwork or that some big wig or an accountant could pull the plug on the offer between now and the start date they designated for me.

Why am I concerned? Because this has been a wild rollercoaster of ups and downs and "oh, you got it!" and "no, you don't got it" and back to "oh, you got it."

At some point I am going to have to roll the dice and trust that I have the new job. If all goes well, my last day at my current job would be Aug. 9.

So I would then have a week to drive to IL, look at apartments, rent one, and then drive back to OH and get my dog and my stuff, then drive back to IL and move in so I can start on Aug. 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I don't know how this offer could get more official. They offered formally over the phone, I accepted over the phone, they sent an email acknowledging my acceptance and sending me credentials to log in to their system and start the onboarding paperwork. I have done so.

My concern is that there could be a glitch in the paperwork or that some big wig or an accountant could pull the plug on the offer between now and the start date they designated for me.

Why am I concerned? Because this has been a wild rollercoaster of ups and downs and "oh, you got it!" and "no, you don't got it" and back to "oh, you got it."

At some point I am going to have to roll the dice and trust that I have the new job. If all goes well, my last day at my current job would be Aug. 9.

So I would then have a week to drive to IL, look at apartments, rent one, and then drive back to OH and get my dog and my stuff, then drive back to IL and move in so I can start on Aug. 19th.
    The email is your “in writing” offer.

When did they ever indicate you didnt have the job? I think that was you, projecting. You will probably find, when you get into the organization, that the wheels turn slowly for all things.

Thread Information