Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am JUMPING!

I am JUMPING!

My plan has consistently been to retire at 60. I just turned 58 on May 20. Work is getting progressively more stressful this year and I've been on the edge multiple times the past 2 months. This week progressed with more issues. It's not a good time to leave but I'm putting myself first. I've had poor sleep 3 nights now and I feel like I'm at the edge of my sanity and I don't want to tip over into another thyroid crisis (what spurred me to leave the last corporate job in 2001).

At breakfast this morning, I told hubby I wanted to resign on Monday. He is in full support. We have no debt. I paid cash for my C300 in 2016 so I'm set for life on transportation. I have funded retirement well, I can start drawing my pension at 59 1/2 and we have a 6 figure emergency fund.

I'm jumping! I'm so happy about it. I just keep taking big deep breaths-have been all day. I will work 5 more weeks (28d is required for leadership anyway). Working a day in August gets my health insurance for the month. I'm going to schedule a colonoscopy and a wellness checkup in August since those are fully paid under wellness care. I just had a full dental visit w/xrays and cleaning so I'm good there.

So August 2 it is!

Yppej
    How wonderful for you! What will you do for health care after August?

Whoah, big news! Good!

Deja Vu! I retired last August 1st and had a colonoscopy on August 3rd. Except for that prep part, every subsequent day has been heaven. Enjoy!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Good for you, Gardnr!

Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    How wonderful for you! What will you do for health care after August?
    Until we get universal healthcare, hubby is working, or we hit Medicare (we are 9d apart). He continues to love his work so he will insure me. The plan for quite a while is that I would work until 60 just padding retirement accounts so I'm jumping 22 months early but we'll be fine.

If he decides he's had it early? We can afford health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Deja Vu! I retired last August 1st and had a colonoscopy on August 3rd. Except for that prep part, every subsequent day has been heaven. Enjoy!
    Yup! In August while still on my current plan: 1) Colonoscopy, 2)Carpal Tunnel Release (my L hand is numb right now!) 3) Well checkup

Awesome, congratulations! Aren't you glad you planned for this well in advance? Updates us on how it's going.

The best reward for a long, fraught working life is escape from it. Your retirement will be restorative.

Thread Information