Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Retired!

I Retired!

Did it. As of a week ago. After 40 years of professional full time work, it is straaaange. I'm both thrilled and a little nervous. It is a whole new mindset and lifestyle for me. It seemed like my emotions and resilience aged out very suddenly.

Thank goodness the money is Ok and my health is fine--I just can't work those 50+ hours. Would love to find a part time job if I can find the right fit.

Bottom line:

Yppej
    Good for you. It seems like everyone is retiring.

Welcome to the club!! It is a mind shift for sure. Took me awhile to unplug but it was so much better for me.

I've always been retired in my mind, so it wasn't much of a change for me.

I've appreciated every minute of my retirement, and am grateful every day. I'm sure your new life will be an adventure!

My advice if I may be so bold - Be a much smarter person than I was. I went from running in my job to running in volunteering. After three years, I quit everything in which I was a volunteer and finally came to terms with retirement. I slowly over the years have come back to a few favourite volunteer roles but even now have no difficulty saying no if too much is being asked of me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I went from running in my job to running in volunteering. After three years, I quit everything in which I was a volunteer and finally came to terms with retirement. I slowly over the years have come back to a few favourite volunteer roles but even now have no difficulty saying no if too much is being asked of me.
    Good advice. At first retirement seems like the longest staycation you've ever taken and then you realize you never need to go back. It's a big change and deserving of a little time and thought before you start The Race 2.0 (or even 3.0). You should have plenty of time for whatever you think should come next.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Congratulations, Rachel!

Thanks for the good wishes and the tips. I am grateful beyond words that I can do this.

My sister, who retired 6 years ago today, said don't "do" anything for 6 months. Don't sign up, don't volunteer, don't apply don't anything. Do what you feel like with each day. Because anything that comes up that sounds fun or good to you, you can say YES to! That's my plan.

I hope week 2 is FABULOUS!!!!

Wonderful wishes for this next chapter!

Thread Information