Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trademarking the name of my classes

trademarking the name of my classes

I had a series of thoughts in this basic stream
    * I went to Tuesday Mornings on an intuitive hunch and found the COOLEST table thing. It folds down to about 2 inches wide, when open it has wire basket shelves that are perfect for yarn.
    * I was thinking about my backdrop and the crochet lettering, how to make it look nicer
    * I realized that the fold down table is perfect for craft fairs, which I would like to do
    * I saw a craft fair possibility on FB
    * I thought that my name of my type of crochet and teaching is unique (I call it Open Form Crochet)
    * I realized I should do something to protect this as my intellectual property ??

And I have no idea what to do next, if it is a reasonable process, however I do think it is a good idea even if I don't do much with it.

Hmmmm, sometimes this kinda crazy bipolar brain does good things.

Zoe, it’s impossible for me to know if this is an idea you are sincere about or if it’s just a throwaway idea of the moment. Regardless, trademark does not protect your process. A patent protects your process.If you have a few thousand dollars to pay towards a patent attorney, sure, go for it. But I think it’s a huge waste of time and money. There are many patent mills that welcome people like you.

Oh No! I do not want to spend money like that, I just have been using this term to describe my classes for about 3 years and I want to have it as mine. There is nothing to patent, I am reaching out to do another fair and looking for class space going into fall.

Yeah I know it is hard to tell,

'Open Forum' tells me nothing about what you are doing. My first thought was a place to 'speak' but nothing about a craft. Sorry but while I can see the merits of trying to find a unique craft display using the equipment you found recently, you need to really think this through a lot more. Even "crochet craft forums" while simple tells customers what you are offering.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Do you have the resources and inclination to protect your trademark?

okay feeling like I was 'off' again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    okay feeling like I was 'off' again.
    You are not 'off' at all but exploring the options and thinking online with us. We are supporting you with our views - all good, IMO.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

A lot of questioning my stability lately,

I call my classes open form crochet. I would like to use that term more and slowly expand my work. Maybe this isn't the way, but I dont want anyone else to take that name and use it. I dont know anything about how to protect it so I thought trademark was the way to go.

Is what you do similar to free form crochet? If not, how does it differ?

This is an example of what I found: https://www.mybluprint.com/article/f...hooked-promise

It is similar, or maybe the same thing. I found when i was looking at freeform i mostly found scrumbling type work and spirals. I mix yarns, create 3D and create on a foundation of crochet skills. I have seen that freeform often applies to s more specific type of work.

so a combo of freeform and amigurumi,

Thread Information