Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are anniversaries of events real

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I kindly suggest that from now on you talk to parents exactly as she instructed you to.
    i do, whenever I am walked through a conversation I do that. I am really good at this part of my job, in fact my 2 colleagues for summer managed to anger every parent they talked to in the first 2 weeks. I followed up and made everyone happy. I think it is just automatic in this department to do this. She is not the first one, but my school year person realized i could do this well long ago.

So just following directions, yup

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    i do, whenever I am walked through a conversation I do that. I am really good at this part of my job, in fact my 2 colleagues for summer managed to anger every parent they talked to in the first 2 weeks. I followed up and made everyone happy. I think it is just automatic in this department to do this. She is not the first one, but my school year person realized i could do this well long ago.

So just following directions, yup
    Is making parents happy the highest goal?

Also: My bosses sometimes talk to me about things of which I am already doing as per their instructions. Sometimes they like to hear themselves talk. So I pretend to pay close attention and I act like what they say matters. I continue to follow their instructions.

Sometimes you just have to pretend.

I find it ridiculous that a place hires professionals and then tries to micromanage them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it ridiculous that a place hires professionals and then tries to micromanage them.

There are many instances where a “professional “ not only needs guidance but specific instruction. I’m not saying this is one of them, I’m just saying.

I managed people with advanced degrees for 30 years. Not everyone is good at everything. A professional degree doesn’t give magic powers of competence, Nor does it instruct them in the specific needs of a particular organization.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-3-19 at 11:16am.

IL, the difference is in teaching and human services you hire a professional due to their ability to communicate well. Never once have I known a supervisor to interfere in professional communication. By the time you have a master’s degree in those areas if you cannot communicate well the field is not a good fit. I am not suggesting ZG ignore her supervisor but they are definitely micromanaging.

There is a way to give guidance to an employee which will not feel like micromanaging, I have people reporting to me who have masters degrees and PhDs. But they still need input at times on policy and culture within our organization .

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, the difference is in teaching and human services you hire a professional due to their ability to communicate well. Never once have I known a supervisor to interfere in professional communication. By the time you have a master’s degree in those areas if you cannot communicate well the field is not a good fit. I am not suggesting ZG ignore her supervisor but they are definitely micromanaging.
    What I have seen is that professionals in the human services often have problems as bad or worse than the populations they are supposedly helping.

When I was briefly in the social work master's program... jeeeeeeesus! The people were screwed up! I remember thinking: "These crazies need to put their own oxygen masks on first!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What I have seen is that professionals in the human services often have problems as bad or worse than the populations they are supposedly helping.

When I was briefly in the social work master's program... jeeeeeeesus! The people were screwed up! I remember thinking: "These crazies need to put their own oxygen masks on first!"
    I think it's silly to equate professionalism with education levels. I've worked with many PHD's with terrible people skills and some with little awareness of anything outside their area of expertise.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes Alan at the college level you run into that because research is the needed skill not teaching. For a regular teacher or social worker the job is all about communicating. Tammy, teaching someone about policy or culture is different than instructing them on what should be the very core of their jobs. There truly is a difference.

I am finding this interesting. I think I am highly challenged in the detailed work area of my job. My Masters shows that I managed it well enough to get through the program and graduate. It is still totally challenging to me. I would not say I don't need direction or correction at times. I am however really good at some things! So it is kinda painful when I feel frustrated in being able to use those skills. This is based on feedback and comments over the years. I am not 100% sure that this is the primary part of my job like someone asked, however my colleagues are now directing more of those challenging communication tasks to me. Either way for the tasks I am having a hard time with I am talking to my brain DR and one of my buddhist teachers for support.

One of the high challenges in my work is that there are so many things to do and balance all the time. Today was much better. I took charge of some things more, and the supervisor/micro manager was quieter. We went to the water park. On the bus when we counted heads of kids and staff she made a comment that we had too many staff. I did the quick mental math and we did need all the staff before some absences. (I write the schedules so yeah that was towards me). Still much better.

Thread Information