Thread: Finally something positive.....(full disclosure, a Phoenix PD update...)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Finally something positive.....(full disclosure, a Phoenix PD update...)

I've just been going over Phoenix Police Chief Jerri William's proposals to increase police accountability and transparency. One aspect I very much support is software monitoring police officers for possible danger signs and also software that monitors when a police officers draws and shoots his or her gun, including the race of the person shot. Sounds like a good start.

A citizen review board is on the table too but the Union is going to fight that one tooth and nail.........Rob

PS Kudos to Police Chief Williams, btw. She does seem to be trying and for this I have to give her credit.

Software isn't a solution. I know everyone likes to think "there's an app for that".

What's needed is top-to-bottom organizational & cultural change, and that takes time, and devotion to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Software isn't a solution. I know everyone likes to think "there's an app for that".

What's needed is top-to-bottom organizational & cultural change, and that takes time, and devotion to the task.
    Not to give you any grief, bae, but I'm not sure I agree with you about the software. Chief Williams seems to be of the opinion that the software can weed out those not up to the psychological stresses of policing. From a logical perspective, this makes some sense to me.....anyone else see this?

I do agree with you that top to bottom organizational and cultural change would be great.....no arguments there, other than the fact that we are talking about Phoenix, Arizona here. I can't see it happening, but I've been wrong before, and we did FINALLY vote out Arpaio, so who knows? Rob

Came back to add - I'm not sure if the nature of this software is one of continual monitoring of officers, such as is going on now with some folks in the military needing security clearances. I've also heard that the concept of continual employee monitoring is starting to catch the attention of corporate America, too. Rob

You might want to do some research on police and software. It has been used to manipulate stats.

Examples (we want this area to have less serious crime, so instead of charging indecent expose, which is a sex crime, charge urinating in public, which is a misdemeanor. What about an officer that is schedules in a high crime area, so their stats look good?)

Yes, the techies love technological fixes to human problems. In my neighborhood we are on our third iteration of security cameras to solve crime.

I won’t go into the details it’s just that I am so Incredibly bored with hearing about cameras security cameras camera manipulation camera placement camera cost blah blah blah cameras cameras cameras. This last iteration we’ve been talking about for 24 months.

In the second iteration of neighborhood cameras which took place about 2009-2012 my neighborhood spent thousands of dollars, I know we spent at least $11,000 of association money and then the techies in love with the cameras put in thousands of dollars of their own money and of course their own time as this was a volunteer effort. Yet during two separate crime incidents where cameras were at those exact sites, somehow they couldn’t get the footage (in one case didn’t want to do it because it wasn’t big enough crime) and in the second situation apparently the camera wasn’t pointed exactly in the right place and the mugging took place immediately under the camera and it was useless.

Here, cameras will be a tool. They will not be A Solution.

Something that is extremely positive about this latest incident of Police Brutality Theatere in Phoenix? It seems to be a tipping point as it is looking like a citizen review board will be put into place to examine police misconduct and even more - the intense hatred that much of Phoenix has for it's PD is coming to light. I'm of the opinion that these upper middle class city officials had no real idea until recently exactly how much the PD in Phoenix is despised, feared, and hated, and how it's viewed as only being good for wealth redistribution via lawsuits. And what's more - word is getting out around the world regarding what Phoenix residents have endured for years. Gotta say I'm glad to live in a city that is right now showing the world the truth about America.......city officials would be bright to implement change STAT and beyond STAT as the tipping point has indeed been reached. Will be interesting to see how this all continues to unfold. Rob

Tipping points are often long sought, and many suffer in the meantime--but what a huge relief for you, your neighborhood and the public at large, to finally get some response.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Tipping points are often long sought, and many suffer in the meantime--but what a huge relief for you, your neighborhood and the public at large, to finally get some response.
    Thank You, Jane. We'll see how effective the measures being discussed slash put into place indeed are.....but it's wonderful that this issue is finally getting some long deserved and well deserved attention. Methinks in the future misbehaving Phoenix, AZ cops will not get away with breaking the law/terrorizing lower income neighborhoods for sick kicks in the manner in which they have long been accustomed. I'm sure the work is nowhere near done but the tide does seem to be turning, and turning against the Phoenix PD and more towards Human Rights, Human Dignity, and The Rule of Law. Better late than never! Rob

Thread Information