Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Independence Day

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    More like "support the military-industrial complex and Dear Leader." I see very little troop support from this regime.
    I agree, Jane. Vets upon return, especially ones that have acquired PTSD during their service (a gift that just keeps on giving) face poor treatment and lack of support upon their return. Trump and his Administration have yet to even offer token lip service towards this issue that I am aware of. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    What do you have against our armed forces, bae?
    We have holidays for them already. Not sure why the 4th of July needs to be turned into a Soviet-style May Day celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    What do you have against our armed forces, bae?
    I don't see where bae said anything against the armed forces, but seems to be talking about the holiday, itself. (Don't mean to put words in your mouth, bae. If I'm wrong - sorry!)

Personally, I agree with bae. Support the Troops - and veterans! - every day! July 4th is Independence Day.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Here’s hoping our orange dictator wannabe is too sick to come to his own parade. That would be great karma)
    Ha! I’m hoping it rains on his parade.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Ha! I’m hoping it rains on his parade.
    LOL You and me both, Tammy. Rob

The Poles didn’t get their freedom until the 1980’s and the mayor of Warsaw is openly defying the president and encouraging others to do so. It’s weird that the world has some horrible people in charge all at the same time.

I think royalty would be much more mentally healthy than what we have going on now. Let people project all their hero worship and obsession on to royalty and let the heads of state be more boring and do actual governing. Royalty would have almost earned their unearned wealth for that service alone at that point.
    Trees don't grow on money

Happy Independence Day, Neighbour!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yikes. Just noticed that everyone on our block has a flag (and some have multiples) waving....except for us. Our house came with a monstrous telescoping flagpole which we took down. I imagine neighbors think we are anti-patriotic - truth is that a flag of any sort just seems like one more thing to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by bae
    We have holidays for them already. Not sure why the 4th of July needs to be turned into a Soviet-style May Day celebration.
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff
    I don't see where bae said anything against the armed forces
    Wow. People missed the emoticon and everything...

My comment was just a tweak of the current mode of discourse in the U.S., in which it seems one cannot fully "support the troops" if one is opposed to parading materiel down main drags of Washington, D.C. during celebrations of independence, or if one prefers to try time-honored tools like diplomacy and treaties with enemies rather than issuing half-baked jingoistic bombast through social media platforms, or if one dares to question the expenditure of blood and treasure on programs that starve the rest of the economy.

It is entirely possible to support the bravery and efforts of those who have served -- in combat or supporting combat -- and still question just how much we are willing to spend in human lives and tax dollars. I wish more of this country would understand that duality.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information