Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Independence Day

Happy Independence Day

I know some people claim to be threatened and offended by the flag, the anthem and even the idea of America. Sneakers with flag logos require censoring. We are invited to make 7/4 a day of bleak reflection on past sins.

I am not one of those people. I plan to take advantage of the veterans discount at the liquor store to toast this country in all itís warts-and-all glory.

I think this is more about publicity and driving people to either buy the products to "destroy them", or to try to buy them because of the recall. Once distracted by this stuff, no one is going to ask why a US flag, on a shoe sold around the USA on the fourth of July, isn't made by and in America, but instead by child labor in a third world country.

What is that old saying about no such thing as bad publicity?

I am concerned a bit that this year Independence Day seems to being recast as "Support The Troops" Day.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am concerned a bit that this year Independence Day seems to being recast as "Support The Troops" Day.
    More like "support the military-industrial complex and Dear Leader." I see very little troop support from this regime.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Thatís fine by me. You can write all the declarations you like, but somebody needs to back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s fine by me. You can write all the declarations you like, but somebody needs to back them up.
    I think that there are lots of other people out there protecting our freedoms besides soldiers. I think soldiers can protect our nation from overthrow by another nation. Which I am happy about. I would not want Russians taking over, for instance.

But I think that journalists, ACLU lawyers, protesters, various elected officials, private citizens who petition the government for redress, etc. all help the cause of our independence.

I also like the 4th of July because I despise royalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think that there are lots of other people out there protecting our freedoms besides soldiers. I think soldiers can protect our nation from overthrow by another nation. Which I am happy about. I would not want Russians taking over, for instance.

But I think that journalists, ACLU lawyers, protesters, various elected officials, private citizens who petition the government for redress, etc. all help the cause of our independence.

I also like the 4th of July because I despise royalty.
    And I LOVE royalty! I am watching for the second time The Crown. But I do not want to pay for it all, that is fine for citizens of the U.K.

Here’s hoping our orange dictator wannabe is too sick to come to his own parade. That would be great karma)

Happy Fourth! We are enjoying "Italian Margaritas" that are made in NH. Very yummy! I have some vintage sparklers to light if we am able to stay awake until dark.

I was freeborn in the USA, and 70 years on I can still say I am enjoying Liberty.

… We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, and that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...

I need no fireworks. I will just carry on.

Thread Information