Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Independence Day

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    My take is that if you wish to fly the American flag, it's your right to do so and it's not my place to say anything, judge, or give grief. I will admit not everyone I know shares this belief with me but my take is - it's fine if someone wants to fly the US flag on July 4th (I've even promised and would follow through with putting the US flag up in my yard if Trump were impeached)...........as long as said someone is OK with my flying the Mexican flag on July 4th out of embarrassment for Donald Trump's recent tariff threat to America's largest trading partner as of April 2019....also due to my gratitude for Mexico always being there for me with affordable medical and optical and dental care.

I'm a big believer in patriotic displays of gratitude, and were access to the above affordable in the US......I'd be a lot more likely to fly the US flag. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Here’s hoping our orange dictator wannabe is too sick to come to his own parade. That would be great karma)
    Couldn't agree with you more, TT. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    My take is that if you wish to fly the American flag, it's your right to do so and it's not my place to say anything, judge, or give grief. I will admit not everyone I know shares this belief with me but my take is - it's fine if someone wants to fly the US flag on July 4th (I've even promised and would follow through with putting the US flag up in my yard if Trump were impeached)...........as long as said someone is OK with my flying the Mexican flag on July 4th out of embarrassment for Donald Trump's recent tariff threat to America's largest trading partner as of April 2019....also due to my gratitude for Mexico always being there for me with affordable medical and optical and dental care.

I'm a big believer in patriotic displays of gratitude, and were access to the above affordable in the US......I'd be a lot more likely to fly the US flag. Rob
    I'm glad you won't judge me for displaying my American flag on the holiday commemorating this country's Declaration of Independence from Britain, although I think it's in bad taste to use that holiday as an excuse to display another country's flag. I won't judge you either, you're allowed to be disrespectful if you want, and frankly, I expect nothing less from you. Enjoy your bastardization of the day.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

All countries have challenges. Poles hate their president too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    All countries have challenges. Poles hate their president too.
    All of them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't understand Rob. I just don't understand him.

Merka has problems. But I tell you what, we have some good stuff too. The First Amendment alone is absolutely bad ass!

Alan, the ones I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think that there are lots of other people out there protecting our freedoms besides soldiers. I think soldiers can protect our nation from overthrow by another nation. Which I am happy about. I would not want Russians taking over, for instance.

But I think that journalists, ACLU lawyers, protesters, various elected officials, private citizens who petition the government for redress, etc. all help the cause of our independence.

I also like the 4th of July because I despise royalty.
    They can be in the parade too. I’ll even lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown ACLU lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am concerned a bit that this year Independence Day seems to being recast as "Support The Troops" Day.
    What do you have against our armed forces, bae?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm glad you won't judge me for displaying my American flag on the holiday commemorating this country's Declaration of Independence from Britain, although I think it's in bad taste to use that holiday as an excuse to display another country's flag. I won't judge you either, you're allowed to be disrespectful if you want, and frankly, I expect nothing less from you. Enjoy your bastardization of the day.
    Ouch, Alan, ouch! Wow is all I can say. That and your post serves to illustrate why I am a liberal and likely always will be as long as I remain in the US.

To sum it up, did I not state that I don't judge or give grief and that I believe you are free to fly the US flag is you wish? Go for it, as far as I am concerned you have that right and I don't judge. Alles klar?

My take is that I deserve the same respect in return, regardless of whether or not you understand my take or my motivation(s). It is not disrespectful where I live to fly a Mexican flag, given the reasons I have listed above, which are unfortunately true and real and will not go away by flying a US flag on your property. Ouch too on your bastardization comment - If we hadn't had this back and forth for some years now I'd be very offended but as much as you can predict my takes on various issues at this point I can predict yours. And I do believe you are sincere in your beliefs and I do believe you mean well overall......Were I an MD I'd recommend a month sabbatical to the 85006 or a similar US inner city neighborhood - so you can see the realities faced TODAY and not when you struggled before in that very different economy when we were both much younger.

At any rate, kudos to you, go fly your US flag. I will not judge you and I'd only wish you'd have the same respect for my decision - regardless of whether you understand or not. Happy July 4th regardless. Rob

Thread Information