Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exciting News!

Exciting News!

As many of you know, I have been doing the tiny living experiment for the past three years, living in about 250 sq, ft. behind the gallery I manage in New Mexico. I still love it, and there is nothing wrong with it, but both me and my boyfriend like to peruse the real estate that is available in our area. A home came up for sale in the past month that has us both really intrigued; in fact, K. used to rent there a few years ago and he knows the property really well, and mutual friends of ours rented there last summer. Well, they got kicked out last October because the owner wanted to sell it it and has been fixing it up since then to put on the market. I saw the listing last week and on a whim, we decided to look at it and it has really tickled our fancy so much that we are about to put an offer in on it!

It has almost an acre of land but is still in town, but off the tourist main road. There is a room that can be used as a studio, several out buildings for a possible future Air Bnb and/or a sorely needed small rental unit for the community. A large kitchen, a real living room and dining area, a master bedroom, and a "family room" type area with a sleeping loft. It has a new roof, a brand new state-of-the-art septic system, and its own well. The design of it is quirky enough to be a great abode for two artists; so much design potential! All the things that need attending to are cosmetic - painting, finishing trim work, adding closets. The bathroom could definitely use an upgrade but it is usable (just not as pretty as it could be). Anyway, lots of fun projects to keep us busy in the future!

The price is pretty reasonable for around here too. My boyfriend has a secure job on Kirtland Air Force Base, so he would be the one taking out the mortgage. I am going to help with the down payment and with the monthly expenses. I have saved so much money by not having to pay rent or utilities for the past three years, and by all my frugality for all these years. I am so excited; somehow it just feels right to me that I am not even freaked out about putting money towards it . After this past year, I realize how much nothing can be taken for granted, and that it is okay to start moving forward toward a new way of being. Having my own home base feels like the right move at this juncture. And it will be nice to be able to leave work at the gallery and actually GO HOME instead of just walking ten steps into the back where I live. I would really like to have some space to spread out in! The house is big enough for two people to be together and have their own space.

So, this weekend is all about paperwork and inspections and making an offer and all the dickering that comes with it. I am learning a lot about the whole process as I have never even DREAMED about owning something like this. K. has owned homes before so he knows what to do and how it all works.

I have to say, It is really nice to be excited about something after this year of hell. And now I am going to go up to the cemetery to visit my daughter's memorial that we put up last week.

Exciting indeed! Keep us posted!

That’s great! Since you are doing some of the down payment make sure it is in writing in case you guys ever split.

Congratulations on the offer, SQ -- looks like you both feel really comfortable with doing this. I think that bodes well for making it happen. I hope the visit to your daughter's memorial goes well, too. Happy 4th!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Cool! This is great news. Rob

Yppej
    Wonderful!

That is exciting news. As others have indicated, keep your booster team posted on the progress of this adventure.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That is wonderful! A new chapter of your life!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is very exciting!

The fact that your instincts are leading you to this house is a very good sign indeed. Congratulations on surviving your "annus horribilis," as the Queen would say. It should get much better from here on out.

Thread Information