Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exciting News!

Thanks everyone! One of the weird things about getting into a real house is that I am going to become a rabid consumer again and accumulate stuff. Already off the bat we will need to buy a stack-able washer/dryer combo (I really, really would like to not have to go to the laundromat in Santa Fe every other week; it's such a time suck). There are already hook-ups for that and a dryer vent. And we will need to buy a 14 ft ladder (very tall ceilings in this place), a cordless drill, a hand sander, a table saw, plus brooms, cleaning equipment, a shop vac....I could go on and on. Cha-ching!

And we have very little furniture between us. I hardly own anything anymore, not even my own bed, having sold most of everything to move out here. This is the fun part though; it'll give us a good reason to peruse all the thrift shops, antique stores and estate sales in the area. There is a HUGE resale market here! We have decided to buy two new twin beds and put them together to make a king-size, but that means getting all new bedding. His full-size bed would go up in the sleeping loft for guests to use. We would need a dining table, chairs, and lamps. But other than that, we do have the bare essentials that would get us by for awhile. Between us we have enough dishes, pots and pans and kitchen appliances. Oh, and we would need to get a lot of window coverings to help keep the heat out during the day. And that means lots of curtain rods...

Yep, I can foresee parting with a LOT of money right off the bat to get this place going. It kind of scares me because mostly I hate parting with my hard-earned stash but I also am cognizant that I've worked a very hard for a very long time, scrimped, scammed and saved to get here and that it is maybe okay to reward myself with the fruits of my labor. Maybe I can have some nice things now.

I am going to become a rabid consumer again and accumulate stuff
    Hope you get the house!! It is funny how ownership promotes consumerism. We thought we had simplified greatly when we bought present house, but buying "stuff" to maintain, operate and furnish becomes necessary.

The house and property sound wonderful! Good luck with everything. Very exciting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’ve always thought that all house sales should be managed like they do it on island nations: all window coverings, appliances, furniture, etc stay with the house.

Oh exciting! I'd rent a AirBnB from you if you get it set up!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I recommend waiting until you're in the house. You're both making do now so you know you can live without all the listed items.

I'm a bit surprised you don't already have 'cleaning equipment' since you both are already living in a space. Why the immediate need for a 14f ladder, cordless drill, a hand sander, a table saw?

Are the window coverings really being removed? I've never seen a home sale not include window coverings. If you really have to buy, consider double cell honeycomb shades. They work great in our environment that ranges -20F to 112F. You can get them opaque for total darkness which is great for late sleeping or standard for some light allowed. Yes, they are more expensive but you can find them online or 50% off ALL THE TIME!

Wait for good sales, buy quality and buy once. Says homeowner that practiced all of this patience on the mountain cabin which is why we're not done rehabbin the then dump, yet after 16years!

Purchasing a quirky owner-built house in rural New Mexico is a bit of an adventure. A tall ladder will be needed to be able to change light bulbs, clean high windows and hang curtains (there are no window coverings incuded). There is a lot of trim work to be finished, things to hang, shelves to build. I have no cleaning equipment of my own (I use the stuff in the gallery to clean up my space in the back). K. at least has a vacuum cleaner and broom/dustpan but we will need a shop vac anyway for the eventual studio. The whole house has been unihabited since last October and needs an all over very deep cleaning.

At this juncture, the appraisers are about to go in and tell the owner what things HAVE to be completed in order for the sale to go through. You have to get the picture that things in my area of rural New Mexico are a bit different than the usual practices in a suburban scenario. The area we live in had very little county oversight and permitting for a very long time so things got built a bit funky and now the county is making people bring things up to code, especially when the property transfers.

I agree about buying quality though, and we will definitely need to prioritizing things. The place will habitable after a really good cleaning but there are a lot of upgrades that need to be done. A lot of it is cosmetic ~ painting the colors we want, reconfiguring some shelving, building a utility closet, eventually dealing with the landscaping that has been neglected for a long time. I dare say I am SURE there are rattlesnakes somewhere on this property (haven't seen one yet but the terrain is ideal for them) so we will have to be very careful as we start cleaning up the outside.

2 years ago we bought a 1930’s house of 800 sq ft in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Phoenix. It was livable right away but we slowly are making it better. It’s a lot of fun. And we own lots more stuff now. We can envision retiring here as long as we go somewhere else for a few months each summer when it’s 115 degrees.

So now I have two categories in my mind-

1. The stuff we own that is personal
    2. The stuff we own for the house

#2 is what I would sell with the house if we ever decide to do that. It includes all furniture, appliances, window coverings, tools, kitchen supplies. We would likely move to assisted living or something, so why bother with all the stuff? One gets very little at estate sales, and every property owner ends up having to furnish their new house. Just throw it all in with the deal and jack up the price $5000. Lots of headaches and backaches saved on both seller and buyer with that model.

#1 would all fit in our car, I think.

I doubt most buyers would want your furniture or kitchen supplies. People have their own taste and own things. I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for someone to leave stuff for me to haul off. Window coverings usually comes with the house although we have bought rentals or foreclosures that didn’t.

One idea, before you go buy all that stuff at Home Depot or wherever? See if your library district has an equipment library? Our town of less than 3000 still manages to loan out kill o watts. Santa Fe is much bigger, so you may be able to borrow some of the sanders, or ?

Thread Information