Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Exciting News!

Actually, that would be an awesome episode! And wouldn't it be fun if all the dirty work was done and wrapped up in the 30 minute time slot?! Instant gratification! I think we are really going to enjoy the process of slowly making it our own. It's all about priorities baby - the first month before either of us moves in will be devoted solely to the really messy projects, like sanding the living room and dining area floors and sealing them. A lot of painting and getting the kitchen in order. The big kitchen and bathroom project with retiling is going to have to wait, so I'll just have to accept the ugly bad tile job for now.

We were supposed to close today but it probably won't be until Monday. I wish we could get in there this weekend and get started!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So exciting! Congratulations! Now you need to go on Househunters!

"SiouzQ has been living in a tiny studio behind the art shop she manages without a real kitchen in a small New Mexico town outside of Santa Fe for several years. Now she and her boyfriend, K who works at nearby Kirtland Air Force Base, have decided to move in together and are looking for a fixer upper in their small town. Will they find something that fulfills his desire for a few renovation projects and her desire to have a place that she can decorate. And a real kitchen? Find out as Househunters goes to Madrid, New Mexico." [sound effect] ding dong
    that's perfect! I would definitely tune in, until SiouzQ says to the realtor, oh, no, I can't live here unless we completely gut this historic adobe home, put in a 3 car garage, make it open concept, replace the appliances with stainless steel, and while we're at it, cover the adobe with shiplap, take out the arched doorways and install sliding barn doors. And bump out the bathroom because there's no way I could only have ONE sink in the bathroom--K and I spend LOTS of time in the bathroom and I don't want him infringing on MY sink time!!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Lol, we are so not like that, but having watched several episodes of HGTV while on the flights to and from Michigan last week, ALL the houses they redid ended up looking exactly the same. Shiplap (or whatever the hell that is called) is obviously the new thing the housing industry is touting for this year. And all the decor looks the same too; I remember when I used to go to the gym back in Michigan and watched home renovation shows while on the elliptical machine and in every show where it was that Joanna lady, every single house she redid had subway tile backsplashes and a big asinine "train" clock somewhere in the house. Gawd, those clocks are going to start showing up in the thrift stores real soon!

Incidently, this house is not historic (built in 2010) but it is a conglomeration of one adobe shack and one cabin-style structure with a connecting room in between (hard to explain) until you see it. But it has these huge roof timbers, pine flooring, use of local stone, brick (all these awesome textures)! It looks like an old adobe and is very quirky and perfect for two artists!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Lol, we are so not like that, but having watched several episodes of HGTV while on the flights to and from Michigan last week, ALL the houses they redid ended up looking exactly the same. Shiplap (or whatever the hell that is called) is obviously the new thing the housing industry is touting for this year. And all the decor looks the same too; I remember when I used to go to the gym back in Michigan and watched home renovation shows while on the elliptical machine and in every show where it was that Joanna lady, every single house she redid had subway tile backsplashes and a big asinine "train" clock somewhere in the house. Gawd, those clocks are going to start showing up in the thrift stores real soon!

Incidently, this house is not historic (built in 2010) but it is a conglomeration of one adobe shack and one cabin-style structure with a connecting room in between (hard to explain) until you see it. But it has these huge roof timbers, pine flooring, use of local stone, brick (all these awesome textures)! It looks like an old adobe and is very quirky and perfect for two artists!
    It sounds wonderful! (says the owner of a quirky house.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Congrats! We bought this house as a fixer-upper right after retiring. We did much of the remodeling work ourselves. It has consumed our time up until now but since it is mostly done, I can feel some boredom creeping in. In retrospect, lots of decisions/planning that we had to make and a great sense of accomplishment for getting it all done in two years. Also a great opportunity to be resourceful if you are on a budget as we are. We used Habitat and or craigslist for many items. And way to many trips to Lowe's...makes me wonder how you get materials when you're out in the boonies.

Arrrgghhhhhh, why do things have to take so long???!!!! I knew from what others have told me that it never goes smoothly at the end, so we are still waiting for the three day grace period to wrap things up and get to the signing, hopefully Monday, but probably not until Tuesday or even Wednesday at the latest.

I just read the appraiser's report though - it was appraised for $10,000 over what we are paying so that's good! I am impatient to get started with the fixing up!

Smiling at your impatience but with understanding. Take these next few days and totally relax and do all the things that you won't be able to do when life gets so busy with the reno. Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Congrats for becoming a homeowner!
    Once you start AirB&B, please post a link in the Travel + home exchange thread so that we all can come visit!

We are signing the papers at 9am tomorrow, FINALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    We are signing the papers at 9am tomorrow, FINALLY!
    Such an exciting day for you!!! Have fun writing the checks and collecting the keys!

Thread Information