Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this idea?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

What do you think of this idea?

Today I am off (Happy July 4th btw everyone!) and spent part of my day online. One disturbing thing I read is of a recent confrontation between a black man (thankfully the whole thing was videoed on smartphone just like the recent event in Phoenix was) and a police officer in Boulder, Colorado, clearly proving the police officer wrong and breaking the law.....

Then I had an idea and I thought I'd run it by here as you'all are familiar with what a big deal such events are for me. My idea is this - to start a website similar to Talk Show Soup - a show years ago that had bits and segments of all the day's funky events on talk shows. In my case, the website would cover police brutality issues nationwide - and would stick with cases to the bitter end, highlighting settlements, firings, resignations, consequences of any kind.

This is totally right up my alley but if it's such a great idea, I wonder why it has not already been done? What do you'all think? I could see something like this lending my life significant meaning, and it might be some kind of legacy I can leave behind that would put a teensy little bit of good into a very crazy world.

Rob

This just reminded me that I need to get out my “thank you Police “yard signs and put them up. I retire them for a while and then put them back up, just to keep things fresh although I think I’m going to install one of them on our back fence permanently.

Thanks for the reminder Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This just reminded me that I need to get out my “thank you Police “yard signs and put them up. I retire them for a while and then put them back up, just to keep things fresh although I think I’m going to install one of them on our back fence permanently.

Thanks for the reminder Rob.
    Fair enough, IL. You don't have to agree with my stance/take, fair enough.....but you also did not answer my question in my post. No one says you have to, I'm just pointing this out is all. Rob

If your effort is factual, it would be helpful. If it is screed, not helpful.

Me, I'm continuing my police reform work by showing up at classes at the Seattle Police training facility, and working with our local Sheriff's office.

When you get your video website up and running don’t forget to include this video clip, It is brutal:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTNSvIzwdA8

I really don't understand Rob's profound dislike of police.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I really don't understand Rob's profound dislike of police.
    I do have an intense dislike of police, that much I grant you here and now. So I will try to explain, without going into writing a novel as I often do.

Partly witnessing police brutality (interestingly enough, white on white) in rural New Hampshire the Summer of 1975 and then a few years ago next door to where I now live - the Phoenix PD vs. my Guatemalan neighbors - who got the last laugh with a settlement and their Guatemalan flag still flying. Those experiences coupled with the fact that for most (but not all) of my life I have lived in non-white-dominant areas - such as the majority Hispanic neighborhood I live in now - and I have seen up close and personal way too many times how the police treat non-whites.

There is no excuse for this - none whatsoever. And there is the crux of why I dislike the police so much. No snark here - have I made myself clear? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If your effort is factual, it would be helpful. If it is screed, not helpful.

Me, I'm continuing my police reform work by showing up at classes at the Seattle Police training facility, and working with our local Sheriff's office.
    Bae, no snark here, I am seriously curious. What kind of police reform do you aim to achieve via your methods? I'm not saying your methods are wrong, either, I am only trying to understand. Rob

PS I agree with you - anything I post on such a website I propose would need to be factual, otherwise I'm just adding to the drama and the noise. It's Ok to do so as the police make clear each and every day all around the United States - but doing so in a non-factual manner completely defeats my purpose and I'd be better off just using my current methods. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Bae, no snark here, I am seriously curious. What kind of police reform do you aim to achieve via your methods? I'm not saying your methods are wrong, either, I am only trying to understand. Rob

PS I agree with you - anything I post on such a website I propose would need to be factual, otherwise I'm just adding to the drama and the noise. It's Ok to do so as the police make clear each and every day all around the United States - but doing so in a non-factual manner completely defeats my purpose and I'd be better off just using my current methods. Rob
    Your current methods seem rather one-sided and show extreme bias. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to do something about that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think it's a horrible idea. You asked.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information