Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: What do you think of this idea?

  1. #31
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,749
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Finally, and here's a big one - a nationwide former law enforcement officer criminal registry, operating much the same way a sex offender registry would, to permanently dog every step a law breaking officer makes in their life after losing their police officer position.
    You might want to look into what already exists today before adding this to your list...

  2. #32
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Are the Phoenix police engaging in specifically-targeted acts against gay men?
    Bae, to both answer your question and to be fair....no. There have been no targeted acts against gay men committed by the Phoenix PD recently that I am aware of. I refer to the Facebook post scandal, where gay men were among those disparaged by Phoenix PD officers over individual officer's Facebook posts. But there have been no targeted violent acts against gay men committed by the Phoenix PD recently - just to be clear in my meaning and not to accuse them of one thing at least that they are not guilty of. Rob

  3. #33
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is hard for me to know what point you’re addressing in the above word salad.


    But I think you might be referencing the idea of a video of a dying policeman on your fantasy website. If you consider that advocating violence then, OK, I can see that. And in that regard you are better than the St. Louis Post Dispatch despite their smarmy protestations.
    LOL...word salad....can I burrow this phrase? I rather like it!

    Getting to the point, it looks like I was not clear, I'll give you that. I did indeed refer to your comment regarding the dying policeman. Once again, I am very much against any type of violence and this includes violence against police officers. I have even lectured a few people in the neighborhood in regards to this - it's like it's their job to be violent against us - this is like their sick natural order of things - so that we can video and get money. That's kind of how that one works in lower income Phoenix neighborhoods. I don't know how it works in St Louis so I won't presume to tell you if this applies there, fair enough? But I also get irritated with those few people in the 85006 who don't grasp what I've just posted about police and what they are good for and how to achieve this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to grasp this and it should be instinctive to someone who lives where I do.

    Anyway, thanks I guess for saying I'm better than your local paper. No one period should be advocating violence.......not even in the 85006. No excuses, no exceptions (well, maybe for self defense but I'd still prefer video proof) and no equivocation(s). Maybe we can at least agree on this one thing, no? I'm also very much against violence....perhaps for different reasons, but I'm still against it. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-5-19 at 8:48pm.

  4. #34
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,749
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I refer to the Facebook post scandal, where gay men were among those disparaged by Phoenix PD officers over individual officer's Facebook posts.
    Can you explain this incident some more? I'm not quite sure what your sentence means.

    I think perhaps you are referring to this:

    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...nline-11306928

    https://www.plainviewproject.org/data?city=phoenix

    I would find it difficult to leap from this collection of Facebook posts to the conclusion that it is "open season" on gay men in Phoenix.

  5. #35
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,749
    This idea of going for "big settlements" to inspire terror in the police.

    I suspect it needs deconstructed a bit.

    Assuming a "big settlement" is awarded, where does the money come from? From the city's pockets, or from its insurers. In any event, the final cost simply gets passed down to the taxpayers of the political division those police are operating in. That is, the very residents that are being oppressed by the police.

    And if those residents are minorities, and don't have any clout, the wealthier majority population may well be happy to pay the price - they can afford it, and the increase in taxes drives out the "undesireable" elements anyways. Win-win....

    This is why these problems have to be approached system-wide. The voters have to elect people who will not put up with police nonsense. And if they continue to allow this to happen, you have to bring in higher-level governmental oversight. This is why the Seattle Police Department operates now under strict Federal supervision, because they were out of line, and unwilling to reform.

  6. #36
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This idea of going for "big settlements" to inspire terror in the police.

    I suspect it needs deconstructed a bit.

    Assuming a "big settlement" is awarded, where does the money come from? From the city's pockets, or from its insurers. In any event, the final cost simply gets passed down to the taxpayers of the political division those police are operating in. That is, the very residents that are being oppressed by the police.

    And if those residents are minorities, and don't have any clout, the wealthier majority population may well be happy to pay the price - they can afford it, and the increase in taxes drives out the "undesireable" elements anyways. Win-win....

    This is why these problems have to be approached system-wide. The voters have to elect people who will not put up with police nonsense. And if they continue to allow this to happen, you have to bring in higher-level governmental oversight. This is why the Seattle Police Department operates now under strict Federal supervision, because they were out of line, and unwilling to reform.
    Bae, I can't see this happening in Phoenix....the Federal supervision of the Phoenix PD I mean. I guess if things continue to spiral out of control it may happen, but I have a hard time seeing it happen here, conservative as Phoenix can sometimes (but oddly enough not always is) be. But I remember Jane mentioning something about the Federal supervision in Seattle and I am not up to speed on this. I will go research this online to get up to speed. Rob

  7. #37
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,749
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Bae, I can't see this happening in Phoenix....the Federal supervision of the Phoenix PD I mean. I guess if things continue to spiral out of control it may happen, but I have a hard time seeing it happen here, conservative as Phoenix can sometimes
    Seattle was not given a choice....

  8. #38
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Can you explain this incident some more? I'm not quite sure what your sentence means.

    I think perhaps you are referring to this:

    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...nline-11306928

    https://www.plainviewproject.org/data?city=phoenix

    I would find it difficult to leap from this collection of Facebook posts to the conclusion that it is "open season" on gay men in Phoenix.
    I beg to differ, bae. This gay man right here? If a police officer hates me due to my sexual orientation but keeps their mouth shut, I have no problem with it. Disparage gay men (or any LGBT) online and I consider that open season.....maybe not in a violent sense, but in a terror that they have a gun and a badge and can murder me and likely get away with it completely sense. Yes indeed, to me such disparagement is indeed open season. And then too one has to question....why would they post such online given the intense scrutiny of police officers these days to begin with? One would hope for a little more common sense but in Phoenix, St. Louis, and Philadelphia at any rate, this seems to be too much to hope for. Rob

  9. #39
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Seattle was not given a choice....
    Fair enough, bae. As I said, I'm not up to speed here but will look into this. I guess your point is that Phoenix might not be given a choice if current issues continue to take place? Rob

  10. #40
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,222
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Disparage gay men (or any LGBT) online and I consider that open season.....
    What about when you disparage police online? Do you apply the same rules of conduct to yourself?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •