Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this idea?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I think it's a horrible idea. You asked.
    Fair enough, Float On, and you are right - I did ask. Fair enough. May I ask why you see it this way? You don't have to answer this if you'd rather not, though. Rob

I have seen cops bust a lot of guys for things like domestic violence, weapons while intoxicated, brandishing a firearm, drunk driving, etc.

To me, this is a good thing. What do you think, Rob?

I hope Rob’s proposed website allows comments. I hope those comments are unmoderated.I also hope that it has a section allowing readers to post their own videos.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I hope Rob’s proposed website allows comments. I hope those comments are unmoderated.I also hope that it has a section allowing readers to post their own videos.
    But couldn't that potentially undermine his preferred narrative?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Fair enough, Float On, and you are right - I did ask. Fair enough. May I ask why you see it this way? You don't have to answer this if you'd rather not, though. Rob
    Humanity is chaos.
    I'd rather be part of good than bad.
    Police aren't paid enough for the crap they deal with and put their life on the line for on a daily basis.
    There are probably nation wide 100 or more good cops for every truly bad cop. Tell those stories of the good and build a better more hopeful tomorrow.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I do have an intense dislike of police, that much I grant you here and now. So I will try to explain, without going into writing a novel as I often do.

Partly witnessing police brutality (interestingly enough, white on white) in rural New Hampshire the Summer of 1975 and then a few years ago next door to where I now live - the Phoenix PD vs. my Guatemalan neighbors - who got the last laugh with a settlement and their Guatemalan flag still flying. Those experiences coupled with the fact that for most (but not all) of my life I have lived in non-white-dominant areas - such as the majority Hispanic neighborhood I live in now - and I have seen up close and personal way too many times how the police treat non-whites.

There is no excuse for this - none whatsoever. And there is the crux of why I dislike the police so much. No snark here - have I made myself clear? Rob
    Rob, that is just not enough examples to justify a blanket dislike.

I used to work in Philly. I met a few people from over in Jersey. They were A-HOLES. Is this reason enough to dislike everyone from New Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But couldn't that potentially undermine his preferred narrative?
    Not to him. Rob doesn’t need an echo chamber because he carries around his own echo chamber in his head.

Bae, no snark here, I am seriously curious. What kind of police reform do you aim to achieve via your methods? I'm not saying your methods are wrong, either, I am only trying to understand. Rob
    Well, I have to think it has a positive effect on the performance and outlook of the officers to work with them helping train them in non-lethal/less-lethal use-of-force, weapons retention, edge-weapon defense, trauma medicine, and so on. This gives them more options, and reduces their anxiety, and increases their proficiency, which I suspect all together help give them the ability to be kinder and gentler.

I also work with post-incident trauma and stress sessions, which probably reduces burnout, suicide and divorce rates.

And I work on active-shooter response, because I go into the building with them when we have such things.

And I move all the dead bodies, so they don't have to be traumatized by that, as they have less of a support system in place than my team does. They call us, we deal with it, they buy us coffee later.

And my team works with them on marine response, which is a team effort, and our participation has resulted in a reduction in injury and accident rates, improved response time, and overall safety.

And my team backs them up when they have Troublesome Situations, so the one or two officers have more options available to them, which reduces stress and improves outcomes, and adds a lot of accountability and transparency.

I mean, sure, I could just robocall their offices and say "we're watching you", but I think my hands-on citizen participation wins more hearts and minds, saves more lives, and produces better outcomes.

Who would be the audience for such a site? I don’t see it striking terror into the hearts of the cops. I doubt the general public would have much interest.

I think there are more constructive ways to give your life meaning than feeding an obsession.

Rob here’s what I think of your idea: there’s not enough fresh video content of cops acting badly to make it a viable website.

These videos shows up on YouTube all the time anyway.Would you have exclusive right to use the video content? I doubt it, once it’s out there it’s out there.

There are several kinds of “bad cop databases” on the web, each with a different emphasis, So if you are really doing this it would be a good thing to link to those databases.It could be a place to collect “I hate cops” stories From random posters. You could also collect videos of cops shot and dying on the ground, that would please your audience. We have such video footage in St. Louis for our latest cop killing. The St. Louis Post Dispatch put up that video for a brief time on their own website. And then they took it down with an apology, crying crocodile tears begging forgiveness. They are insufferable.

You could join right up with the Post Dispatch since ya’ll have the same mindset. But in the end, there’s not enough real content to support a website.

Instagram might be a better technical tool for this, you can post the video of the day there. It doesn’t require website maintenance. There are sections for comments and still images and you can save videos there too. Not sure how much of a storage capacity there is for each IG account.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-5-19 at 12:20pm.

Thread Information