Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this idea?

So you want to get into journalism?

Have you seriously thought about the costs? (video licensing, sending someone there, etc.) Even if you make it an opinion style instead of factual style, you have stated your malice for police and need to be wary of slander/liable.

Like Bae, I work with law enforcement regularly. In my situation it’s for allegations of rape or abuse, or physical altercations, from/between our patients. Many times it’s part of the delusion rather than part of reality. But it all gets reported.

I can see the PD get frustrated when it’s obviously delusion but I work with them on it and we have a good partnership.

My husband is a downtown Phoenix ambassador, and he interfaces with PD related to the homeless. Phoenix PD has been working on an approach that is helpful (understanding mental illness, offering services, using crisis prevention interactions).

Most of them are not bad guys. We do have some who are as you all see on the national news at times. But I like being part of the solution. I think the community working with the police can bring change to the PD. I also value Rob’s people marching and protesting because we all need to know that injustices happen.

It’s both/and, not either/or.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Like Bae, I work with law enforcement regularly. In my situation it’s for allegations of rape or abuse, or physical altercations, from/between our patients. Many times it’s part of the delusion rather than part of reality. But it all gets reported.

I can see the PD get frustrated when it’s obviously delusion but I work with them on it and we have a good partnership.

My husband is a downtown Phoenix ambassador, and he interfaces with PD related to the homeless. Phoenix PD has been working on an approach that is helpful (understanding mental illness, offering services, using crisis prevention interactions).

Most of them are not bad guys. We do have some who are as you all see on the national news at times. But I like being part of the solution. I think the community working with the police can bring change to the PD. I also value Rob’s people marching and protesting because we all need to know that injustices happen.

It’s both/and, not either/or.
    Tammy.....I like your take here. Calm and reasonable and yet real and willing to acknowledge the police are no saints. Kudos! And here's something interesting.....back in 2001 I applied for a job as a Copper Square Ambassador with the Downtown Phoenix Partnership myself and even went in for a drug test and it looked like I was going to be hired....and then I was offered a fine dining server position around the corner at the then Crowne Plaza downtown. Small world! If we ever meet I would not be surprised if we've run across each other before and even vaguely recognize each other.......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So you want to get into journalism?

Have you seriously thought about the costs? (video licensing, sending someone there, etc.) Even if you make it an opinion style instead of factual style, you have stated your malice for police and need to be wary of slander/liable.
    There has been a great deal of friction between us over the years so please don't be stunned here with what I am about to post. I actually agree with you here. I am sure this is no simple undertaking and that there are in and outs and rules and regulations and expenses and legalities to worry about. Granted and given. I am only at the idea stage at this time but yes, these are issues to be considered, I'll give you that. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I hope Rob’s proposed website allows comments. I hope those comments are unmoderated.I also hope that it has a section allowing readers to post their own videos.
    IL....here's something I find interesting. As we speak there are a number of St. Louis police officers being investigated, just like there are in Phoenix, for their Facebook posts....I understand that in St. Louis it's more of an anti-Muslim thing whereas in Phoenix it's more of an open season on anyone including myself as a gay man. My point? You let this slide and don't say a word about it, implying (whether or not it's true) that such is acceptable to you.....interesting. Whereas in my case the Phoenix PD does anything the slightest bit over the line and I'm making sure it's going around the world on social media, no exceptions, excuses, or equivocation.

No offense, OK? I believe my way leads to saving lives and preventing physical harm to innocent civilians, plus aids in lawsuits (at least when video can be obtained/produced). I'm not saying you are wrong, nor am I saying you should change....you do you. You only need to account to yourself anyway. Once again, you do you. All I'm saying? I rather like myself for how I handle such issues and for how I act upon and prioritize such issues. Without even trying to, today you indirectly made me feel good about myself and various life choices I've made. Thank You. And I mean no snark or sarcasm here. There is a huge gulf between how you and I see these issues, would you not agree with at least this much? I'm happy to be on my side of this gulf - as I'm sure you are to be on yours. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, I have to think it has a positive effect on the performance and outlook of the officers to work with them helping train them in non-lethal/less-lethal use-of-force, weapons retention, edge-weapon defense, trauma medicine, and so on. This gives them more options, and reduces their anxiety, and increases their proficiency, which I suspect all together help give them the ability to be kinder and gentler.

I also work with post-incident trauma and stress sessions, which probably reduces burnout, suicide and divorce rates.

And I work on active-shooter response, because I go into the building with them when we have such things.

And I move all the dead bodies, so they don't have to be traumatized by that, as they have less of a support system in place than my team does. They call us, we deal with it, they buy us coffee later.

And my team works with them on marine response, which is a team effort, and our participation has resulted in a reduction in injury and accident rates, improved response time, and overall safety.

And my team backs them up when they have Troublesome Situations, so the one or two officers have more options available to them, which reduces stress and improves outcomes, and adds a lot of accountability and transparency.

I mean, sure, I could just robocall their offices and say "we're watching you", but I think my hands-on citizen participation wins more hearts and minds, saves more lives, and produces better outcomes.
    Bae, i've read over your post here several times and done some thinking over it and I will give you this - your way is kindler and gentler than mine, yes. I can see that and even agree with that.

So why don't I make any effort to adopt at least some of your kindler and gentler way? Simple answer - it would not work here. Phoenix is too big and too aggressive and the PD is too into thinking they are Gods completely above the law for such to work. All that will work here is my much more aggressive, in your face with consequences and media coverage approach. For anything against the police and in the name of the Rule of Law and Human Rights to work here, individual officers have to feel some fear of financial loss if not outright terror. It may not be that way where you are, and if it's not, that's great and I support your methods (I truly do) and as I posted to IL a little bit ago - you do you.

My point? In the 5th largest city in America (Phoenix recently surpassed Philadelphia in population for the #5 spot) your techniques are not going to work. I've gotta go with what does, less pleasant than yours though the tactics may be. It's about saving lives from the police, saving people from physical harm from the police, and cashing in on them for every penny when possible. This is what police/resident relations have sunk to in lower income Phoenix, AZ zip codes. It's not pleasant but then how often is reality pleasant when you get right down to it? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rob here’s what I think of your idea: there’s not enough fresh video content of cops acting badly to make it a viable website.

These videos shows up on YouTube all the time anyway.Would you have exclusive right to use the video content? I doubt it, once it’s out there it’s out there.

There are several kinds of “bad cop databases” on the web, each with a different emphasis, So if you are really doing this it would be a good thing to link to those databases.It could be a place to collect “I hate cops” stories From random posters. You could also collect videos of cops shot and dying on the ground, that would please your audience. We have such video footage in St. Louis for our latest cop killing. The St. Louis Post Dispatch put up that video for a brief time on their own website. And then they took it down with an apology, crying crocodile tears begging forgiveness. They are insufferable.

You could join right up with the Post Dispatch since ya’ll have the same mindset. But in the end, there’s not enough real content to support a website.

Instagram might be a better technical tool for this, you can post the video of the day there. It doesn’t require website maintenance. There are sections for comments and still images and you can save videos there too. Not sure how much of a storage capacity there is for each IG account.
    I am under the belief that I have made this stance clear in the past but I'll calmly and clearly state it: I do NOT advocate violence. Period. On either side of the equation. Violence solves nothing.....I'll even go so far as to say that I wish more in the 85006 understood that.

Do I really even need to state the following at this point? I advocate economic consequences, both personal enrichment from police misbehavior, possibly in the case of a HUGE settlement such as the ones looking like they will soon be happening here in Phoenix - in these cases I'm all for starting a foundation to pay the legal expenses of low income or unemployed/mentally ill/disabled victims of American police so that they too may have a crack at top dollar. I also advocate pension loss within 72 business hours in truly horrific scenarios such as the one that recently visited Phoenix, and further economic loss/consequences for individual law breaking officers. Finally, and here's a big one - a nationwide former law enforcement officer criminal registry, operating much the same way a sex offender registry would, to permanently dog every step a law breaking officer makes in their life after losing their police officer position.

YES! I advocate all of the above - but no violence. I'm also against the murder of cops - I can certainly understand the anger that leads to this happening - but it solves nothing and just doubles down on horrific law enforcement behavior. Violence solves nothing. Both sides of this equation need to learn this one better. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL....here's something I find interesting. As we speak there are a number of St. Louis police officers being investigated, just like there are in Phoenix, for their Facebook posts....I understand that in St. Louis it's more of an anti-Muslim thing whereas in Phoenix it's more of an open season on anyone including myself as a gay man. My point? You let this slide and don't say a word about it, implying (whether or not it's true) that such is acceptable to you....interesting.

Whereas in my case the Phoenix PD does anything the slightest bit over the line and I'm making sure it's going around the world on social media, no exceptions, excuses, or equivocation...
    to the bolded

You put forth silly arguments.

I don’t write about every wrong in the world because I have, unlike you, many interests. (And besides, there are always cops being investigated and charged in STL. ) You have two hobby horses you ride on this website, bad cops and socialized medicine. Over and over and over, again and again and again.

I am under the belief that I have made this stance clear in the past but I'll calmly and clearly state it: I do NOT advocate violence. Period. On either side of the equation. Violence solves nothing.....I'll even go so far as to say that I wish more in the 85006 understood that.

Do I really even need to state the following at this point? I advocate economic consequences, both personal enrichment from police misbehavior, possibly in the case of a HUGE settlement such as the ones looking like they will soon be happening here in Phoenix - in these cases I'm all for starting a foundation to pay the legal expenses of low income or unemployed/mentally ill/disabled victims of American police so that they too may have a crack at top dollar. I also advocate pension loss within 72 business hours in truly horrific scenarios such as the one that recently visited Phoenix, and further economic loss/consequences for individual law breaking officers. Finally, and here's a big one - a nationwide former law enforcement officer criminal registry, operating much the same way a sex offender registry would, to permanently dog every step a law breaking officer makes in their life after losing their police officer position.

YES! I advocate all of the above - but no violence. I'm also against the murder of cops - I can certainly understand the anger that leads to this happening - but it solves nothing and just doubles down on horrific law enforcement behavior. Violence solves nothing. Both sides of this equation need to learn this one better. Rob
    It is hard for me to know what point you’re addressing in the above word salad.

But I think you might be referencing the idea of a video of a dying policeman on your fantasy website. If you consider that advocating violence then, OK, I can see that. And in that regard you are better than the St. Louis Post Dispatch despite their smarmy protestations.

... in Phoenix it's more of an open season on anyone including myself as a gay man.
    Are the Phoenix police engaging in specifically-targeted acts against gay men?

Thread Information