Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What do you think of this idea?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What about when you disparage police online? Do you apply the same rules of conduct to yourself?
    No. And it's not hypocritical on my part, either.

Reason? I don't carry a gun and a badge and I can't detain you, arrest you, take you into custody, get away with lying like a rug on a floor about a police report, or kill you and lie about it to get away with it. Big, big, big diff here, Alan. I am hoping with your years of life experience you can grasp the Grand Canyon Wide chasm between a police officer disparaging an LGBT individual vs. someone like me disparaging them. Big, big, big diff. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan. I am hoping with your years of life experience you can grasp the Grand Canyon Wide chasm between a police officer disparaging an LGBT individual vs. someone like me disparaging them. Big, big, big diff. Rob
    Realistically, the only difference I can see is that one hurts your feelings and the other gets you off. One fills you with righteous indignation and the other makes you feel good about yourself.

You're either both wrong or both right and you can't have it any other way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I beg to differ, bae. This gay man right here? If a police officer hates me due to my sexual orientation but keeps their mouth shut, I have no problem with it. Disparage gay men (or any LGBT) online and I consider that open season.....maybe not in a violent sense, but in a terror that they have a gun and a badge and can murder me and likely get away with it completely sense.
    So, if the officer has "disparagement" in his heart, but keeps quiet about it, you're not in terror.

But if he posts to his Facebook page, it's time to panic? And it's "open season" on you?

Well, to this queer intersex non-binary person, that makes little sense. (I have some more identity politics cards to play, if we want to play Go Fish...)

How many members of the Phoenix PD post stuff like this to their Facebook pages? What number would be required to drive you to terror? Does the department have any policy on private social media use? Should it?

Looking at their database, the material tends to be several years old, and it's the sort of sophomoric horse-excrement my less-enlightened right-wing midwest relatives tend to "share" without thought. I'm having trouble making the leap to "open season" and "terror".

Reason? I don't carry a gun and a badge and I can't detain you, arrest you, take you into custody, get away with lying like a rug on a floor about a police report, or kill you and lie about it to get away with it.
    And the Phoenix police do this a lot to gay men, do they?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    And the Phoenix police do this a lot to gay men, do they?
    No bae.....not the point. The point is that if you are entrusted by society to have a gun and to be able to have power over Joe Public, to be able to kill (when legally indicated, a major problem with American police as we all know), to be able to arrest, detain, etc.....there really is no room to be discriminatory towards anyone. Period. As much as I don't believe in violence I believe that what I just posted is true, too. So, to answer your question - gay men in Phoenix are not being attacked by the Phoenix PD as far as I am aware. But online, yes, they are, and by people who not only should know better but should be legally compelled to zip it......and who shouldn't even be legally required to do so but who should do so through sheer common sense. Good luck with that, no? Rob

So, to answer your question - gay men in Phoenix are not being attacked by the Phoenix PD as far as I am aware. But online, yes, they are,
    Attacked online by the Phoenix PD? The official PD, acting officially? Or some small small minority of individuals posting to their own Facebook pages foolishly?

Do you have some numbers? Or is a single social media offender enough to tar the entire department with the charge "open season on gay men"?

Interesting.... Those darned cameras.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...0isO00xHTaV-Q/

Thread Information