Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Middle Class Families Want Politicians to Know

What Middle Class Families Want Politicians to Know

NYTimes article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/05/o...-families.html

Both inspiring and depressing.

It seems that living in the US is a whole lot higher than my neck of the woods but perhaps, I need to verify that. Interesting reading this.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Some of these people live in such high cost areas that they would do better to move somewhere cheaper. We have moved many times for jobs. The doctor and spouse do not live in a high cost area so should cut back work hours, spend more time with their kids and that would cut daycare costs. HI and college are 2 huge expenses in the states. Kids can get there first 2 years of college at a community college but many people aren’t willing to do that. Sacrificing retirement savings for college is a big mistake because most of these people won’t be able to work as long as they plan to.

Our 3 kids all did their first half of college at the community college, and at almost no cost as they attended part of it during their high school years and had scholarships. Then they finished at the small liberal arts college in our town, and lived at home. Also with scholarships and no room/board charges. This was their choice. None of them wanted the live-in-the-dorm experience. They grew up quickly and thought of college life as immature and annoying.

They make far more than the median household income here which certainly never cracks 6 figures.

They won't work till 70 or 80 anyway, the job market will make sure of that. OTOH they probably worry too much about a future that will never come anyway, climate change will make sure of that.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I think most of those featured were upper middle class, not middle middle or lower middle. The Massachusetts family was from Stow which is not top of the line but still high end.

I get tired of people constantly complaining about student loans and college funds. I live in a very HCOL area (Los Angeles area) like many people in this story. I have two high school age sons. I have told my sons that they are going to community college and then to local state university. Tuition and books at the CC is probably going to be about $2k a year and state university about $10-12K. I am not going to pay for them to have the “college experience “ of going away to some other state or private college or living in a dorm enjoying a prolonged adolescence on my dime. I will pay for their college as I laid out above but am not going to foot the bill for anything more and will not approve of them taking out big loans, especially to study something that will not reap benefits in the workplace. The average person has student loan debt of 30 or 40K. This is less than most new cars and supposedly will reap a lifetime of financial benefits. I honestly don’t feel sorry for them. I have several nieces and nephews who borrowed large sums of money to go out of state to study things like communications and now have jobs they probably could have gotten without a college degree. One has debt of $70k and manages a local fitness center and cries about how horrible her situation is, even though her degree was in kinesiology. I feel about student debt like I feel about credit card debt. You signed for it, you pay for it. I don’t feel sorry for the families portrayed other than the man with two disabled children. I too have a disabled child and know the financial burden it can cause.

I agree Henrysmom. People who signed up for student loan debt should pay it. I oppose taxpayers picking up the tab through loan forgiveness programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I agree Henrysmom. People who signed up for student loan debt should pay it. I oppose taxpayers picking up the tab through loan forgiveness programs.
    Every month when I make my reduced payment in my public service loan forgiveness plan I am glad you don't make the rules. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom View Post
    I too have a disabled child and know the financial burden it can cause.
    What if someone says? "You chose to have kids. You knew the risk. You shoulder ALL the costs of all their special needs."

Thread Information