Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would your life have been like?

I'd be married to a banker, or broker, or some such. I grew up in a fawncy place. Not my cuppa.

This is what they are building in my home town. Where is the house!?!?!!! Never mind, it isnt important. It is our Ford 150 trucks that are important and we built them houses and will put up the humans in a shack around back.

9E9DE9A1-463E-4174-9287-700D7E815E26.jpg

Small town 3000 people. Left in 79. Still small at only 4000 people. I don't even want to think about still living there. Gossip is the primary entertainment. I married pregnant and still haven't given birth after 39 years. People work in food service or at the fish hatchery or the fish food plant.

NOPE NOPE NOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is what they are building in my home town. Where is the house!?!?!!! Never mind, it isnt important. It is our Ford 150 trucks that are important and we built them houses and will put up the humans in a shack around back.

9E9DE9A1-463E-4174-9287-700D7E815E26.jpg
    LOL!!!

Like Bae, I feel the city of my birth would have been insufficient to contain my transcendent spirit and protean genius. Chicago is simply not vast enough.

Had I not left my home town to serve in the military, the most likely outcome would have been the West losing the Cold War sometime in the mid-eighties. A fearful and demoralized America would have eventually become a Soviet client state. I would currently be residing in a re-education camp in North Dakota, assembling rotary dial telephones and listening to mandatory NPR broadcasts of the works of Noam Chomsky.

Thant's an interesting thought experiment. I grew up in San Antonio in an old money hood (though I was not part of that strata). It was a place where old money families married into other old money families to continue the lineage and comfortable ways. Had I stayed, I would have probably sought out one of those dudes who had a huge cattle ranch and a house in the city. It is an unchanging way of life there but one I left long ago.

I don't know, my regrets are mostly about education and career choices, sometimes social and dating choices although less often, and not about where I live. So I've spend very little time thinking about it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I moved so much in my life, enjoyed each part of it and relish my life today. Being part of the late 60's, I had highs and lows, opportunities, options, education in new fields and employment. I used them all to great advantage - rural life, small villages, cities and now a quiet beautiful town near Lake Erie. Love my life, every part of it. It just unfolded naturally. Trying to imagine my life in any stop along the way is like stopping a beautiful song partway through, it stops being a song.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Like Bae, I feel the city of my birth would have been insufficient to contain my transcendent spirit and protean genius. Chicago is simply not vast enough.

Had I not left my home town to serve in the military, the most likely outcome would have been the West losing the Cold War sometime in the mid-eighties. A fearful and demoralized America would have eventually become a Soviet client state. I would currently be residing in a re-education camp in North Dakota, assembling rotary dial telephones and listening to mandatory NPR broadcasts of the works of Noam Chomsky.
    OMG!!! Thank you so much for your service!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Small town 3000 people. Left in 79. Still small at only 4000 people. I don't even want to think about still living there. Gossip is the primary entertainment. I married pregnant and still haven't given birth after 39 years. People work in food service or at the fish hatchery or the fish food plant.

NOPE NOPE NOPE!
    Sounds very much like my home town. "Gossip is the primary entertainment" says it all. The library was one town over and the size of a shoebox. Shudder.

Thread Information