Thread: Rob in the news?

Rob in the news?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

I won’t boycott Starbucks because of this incident. I wouldn’t hold one small incident against the entire chain of Starbucks and Starbucks corporate.

I will boycott Starbucks because — I don’t go to Starbucks. It is not part of my daily life. I just don’t go there. They made a brief appearance in a store about a mile from me sometime ago, cut into the business of the local mom-and-pop coffee shops, and then went out of business. That experiences did not make me love them more.

Weird.

In Seattle, the SPD led the charge to turn the Starbucks outlets into safe spaces for all.

https://stories.starbucks.com/storie...-at-starbucks/

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    No, this isn't me. Funky you should post this, though, as on my own I ran across this article online this morning. Interesting timing.

For the record, I'm not sure I'm down with the police officers being asked to leave, and I say this as someone not pro-police to put it extremely mildly. That said, given that I live in the Phoenix metro area, I can totally understand why this happened. The Tempe, Arizona police also is another Arizona PD with a history of blatant disregard for the law and numerous top dollar settlement payouts due to their belief they are Gods above the law. I would not feel comfortable with the officers being at the Starbucks were I there as a customer, either. But I would keep my mouth shut and deal, knowing the history of the Tempe, Arizona PD and fearing for my physical safety (mostly the Tempe, AZ PD is guilty of beatings and assaults for no legal reason - only one recent murder that is legally questionable to the extreme comes to mind, of a 14 year old who was unarmed but was in the the process of theft. I say arrest the young man, yes, by all means, but murder? Yet more American Police as they really are.) And I sidetracked - the point of my novel here?

I can certainly understand what would compel a customer to ask the store to ask the officers to leave. This is called consequences in the real world....something the Tempe PD shockingly is no longer immune from. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I would not feel comfortable with the officers being at the Starbucks were I there as a customer, either. But I would keep my mouth shut and deal, knowing the history of the Tempe, Arizona PD and fearing for my physical safety
    Do the police in your area, Rob, have any record of beating up people inside Starbucks who are busy sipping their double-pumpkin-spiced decaff hemp lattes?

Or indeed, do the police beat up customers in Starbucks *anywhere* in the USA?

As I pointed out above, in Seattle the police arranged to have Starbucks locations turned into explicit safe spaces with training and process to help with anti-LGBTQ violence in the area. I have a friend in Seattle who I have to walk to her home after classes or meetings, as she doesn't feel safe after dark walking in Seattle, because of the anti-trans violence situation. The Starbucks/SPD safe space campaign has improved her life. And that's the *Seattle* police department, which has some serious issues of its own, that I've previously mentioned...

Thread Information