Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you do that’s worked the best?

I usually have a list, but that's about as far as my organizational skills extend.
    Eventually, list items get crossed off--but alas, there are always more tasks to be done.

I started the bullet journal system and I love it. It works for me. I've designed my own pages and it's flexible and useful. I also find that I try to stick to the "only 3 things" list.I tend to get very overwhelmed with long lists... I tried others like Stephen Covey, where you would have a list for Urgent things, Important things, family things, work things, fun things... I also tried the Getting Things Done approach which was equally convoluted.

I tried two online systems and they don't work for me at all.

My "system" is to have a daily page with times going down the page vertically so I can write in appointments. Then on the right of the page I have two boxes: one with my top 3 "to-dos" and one where I scribble in spending. I also use it to note things I did. And I also just make other pages for weekly "must do's" if it's a busy week. When I was moving, I did a 6-week list. I write out bills and check them off when paid. It's so totally flexible, and it's become my organizational bible.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I find it interesting if people’s countertops are totally clear. We drink coffee and have toast everyday so no way am I going to put them in a cupboard.Plus our cupboard space is limited so that would be wasting space.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it interesting if people’s countertops are totally clear. We drink coffee and have toast everyday so no way am I going to put them in a cupboard.Plus our cupboard space is limited so that would be wasting space.
    My coffee maker is used daily. It is out. A platter for fruit, a small platter in a deep corner with garlic/onions on it. Mostly clear but not totally clear.

I'll echo the importance of lists, as well as everything having a place, and keeping things in their places. It's also important for things to have an appropriate place, e.g. in close proximity to point of use, with ease of access in alignment with frequency of use.
    One of my tricks is to store back-up items in the basement so that when we run out of mayo or plastic wrap, I need to retrieve the new one from the cellar and that's my cue to add it to the shopping list.
    I think IL has it right that for some of us, being organized isn't something to stress about, it's just the way we are wired. I am short, I have blue eyes, and I am organized to a fault. I do not know how to live my life any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am short, I have blue eyes, and I am organized to a fault.
    Well, rosa, we share two out of three of those things in common.

My hardwiring in the organizing arena runs the opposite. I've done fine in my job despite being a constant flock of loose parts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information