Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you do that’s worked the best?

What did you do that’s worked the best?

I’m looking for ways to be more efficient and organized. Not strategies, like get a dumpster say. I’m looking for organizational hacks and tips.

What started this is that I have a small old cheese crate at the back of our cutting board. It holds 10 oz jelly jars. They have “the last of” whatever pantry staple. The idea is that they get used before I open a new jar or package. So the very end of a package of noodles goes there, ditto grains, beans, dried veggies, etc. It works.

Most of my other organizational ideas don’t work as well, so I’m looking for ideas.

thanks in advance!
    NG

Yppej
    I put things I am not sure I want or need anymore in a purgatory drawer. If after a certain amount of time I haven't retrieved them I toss them.

I wish I could help but I struggle to keep things organized in my household. It might be different/easier if I lived alone, but I don't so - it's often times a struggle.

The only thing that really comes to mind is a list. When I make a list, things seem to actually get done - whether it is cleaning, chores, cooking, projects, etc. When I am so tired after work or whatever, having a list helps me "do" without the struggle of remembering what needs doing.

Good luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We I have mostly been organized by putting stuff away. I also make lists. I also do some housework every day.

I have learned not to stress as much about being organized.

Random thoughts - Over the years and after moving, I culled a lot of items that weren't being used so that now, I have what I need in the kitchen with no excess. If I have to replace something, I make sure to donate/discard original item and replace with a quality version so that it lasts. I keep a bucket under each sink with cleaning supplies. I store cutting boards in a metal file holder inside a cabinet. I clear counters and horizontal surfaces frequently. I make lists. Keeping things organized doesn't feel compulsive to me. I grew up in a messy house so it is my way of taming chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have learned not to stress as much about being organized.
    Not being “stressed” is fine, but the thought of not thinking,not planning, and not living according to an organizational plan makes ME stressed.

We only have stuff we use. Every item has a home. When we're done using it every item is in it's place which is truly the most important part of staying organized. If there's not a place to call home, then there is too much stuff. My counters are mostly clear. They are not storage depots. I can walk in my kitchen or my sewing studio and immediately start a project...that is bliss!

I will say, one has to WANT to be organized for it to happen. I've helped my sister clear the clutter and organize 3X at her request. She's a clutterbug. She does not keep surfaces clear. I don't understand but I can say she has not asked me to help her organize a 4th time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    We only have stuff we use. Every item has a home. When we're done using it every item is in it's place which is truly the most important part of staying organized. If there's not a place to call home, then there is too much stuff. My counters are mostly clear. They are not storage depots. I can walk in my kitchen or my sewing studio and immediately start a project...that is bliss!
    See, that is what I want in our Hermann house. Every item will have a place BEFORE we bring it in.

DH can have free reign of the basement, that is his space, it will be a hoarder place. That’s fine I don’t need to go down there in the grand scheme of things.

DH came home from his family conference about his father‘s estate and brought home three things from the farmhouse, three objects, that he and his siblings thought I might want. Two of them are maybes and are definitely mine to dispose of as needed. If third one was a big I mean big ass wooden cutting board that he made when he was very young. I don’t want it. I don’t want a big cutting board, I dont want a wooden cutting board. He seemed sad when I told him I was gonna send it to the thrift store.

Make a list every week and cross off items completed even little things that need doing as that keeps me motivated.
    I check my use of space. I found that one drawer for plastic containers and lids needed a deeper depth so traded with another drawer needing less space. My baking drawer has everything I need. I buy only what I need most of the time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information