Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tastes changing over time...

Tastes changing over time...

My tastes have really been changing over the past couple years.

I went from LOVING extremely spicy foods to not liking them much, and then suddenly back to moderately liking them.

I used to love anchovies. Then I had them today and suddenly thought they smelled bad and made me retch a little. The idea of eating any more of them grosses me out.

Anyone else go through this?

I became a vegetarian. I can remember eating rare ribs off the bone with my hands with “juice” dripping onto my wrists. Now the smell of meat cooking makes my stomach clench and my throat tighten.

also, I eat much less processed foods than I used to, and sometimes I will try something I loved when I was younger and it is just gross.

I’m less drawn to over-consume sweet things. When I was a kid I could eat a dozen chocolate chip cookies after school and still eat dinner. And I was skinny. But in the last ten years I notice that one cookie is enough to make me happy.

I have changed over the years, I am not liking really hot spicy as much as I used to. Medium spicy is just right. I like a lot of tasty fresh food, a bowl of strawberries and blueberries are a big treat. I eat a lot less sugar and processed food than I did 2 years ago.

I am also a vegetarian and have been for 3-4 years this time? I don't have any interest in meat. I wasn't ever a big meat eater but I used to like turkey dinners and beef with broccoli. However I do NOT like the super healthy vegetarian food I ate back in the 90's. I put lentils in everything, now they taste like dirt to me. I am not a fan of brown rice when I can have white, and I am not making my own bread again.

I used to really dislike blue cheese, and then one day, it was as though my brain perceived the signals from my taste buds differently (relative to blue cheese) and I found that I liked the taste. This sounds goofy, but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I hated, and I mean HATED, nuts and everything with nuts in them, until I became vegetarian. Interestingly, my body adapted to its need for protein and fat and now I love nuts. (I still hate peanut butter). I think it's so interesting that in many cases your body craves what it needs (of course there are exceptions).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I restrict myself to healthy food and limit my diet I like fruit more. I've never really liked fruit much, I've always preferred vegetables cooked with some fat and flavoring (alums etc.) or at least fruits we call vegetables like avocados and bell peppers. But yea, I find even fruit we call fruit are actually ok.
    Trees don't grow on money

The only thing I can think of is avocado--I didn't like it much when I tasted it as a child. I've always liked spicy food, and never disdained meat when I was a vegetarian. I picked right up where I left off, where that was concerned. I've developed a fondness for extra long grain basmati rice lately, which I'm sure is doing me no good. Otherwise, I'm happy with what I'm choosing to eat.

Interesting twists of taste in life!

I ended up give the remaining anchovies to Harlan. He was very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've developed a fondness for extra long grain basmati rice lately
    My and DH's favorite rice by far. When I was in NJ I was able to buy it in huge burlap bags for $11 because of the large Indian community there. I'm going to miss that up here in VT.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information