Thread: Vegan baking - egg substitute?

Geila

Vegan baking - egg substitute?

I just started making the low-carb muffin in a minute (which is actually quite good) and it calls for one egg. Since I'm allergic to eggs and dairy, I'm wanting to find a good sub that is not dairy. I figure vegans have some practice with this and might be able to help me out.

This is the basic mim recipe that I'm using to give an idea of what I'm working with:

1/4 c. of "flour" (I'm using 1/2 coconut flour & 1/2 flax meal)
    1/2 ts. baking powder
    1 egg - need replacement for this
    1 ts. fat (I'm using flax oil)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug, ramekin or small bowl.
    Stir. Then add the egg and the fat. Mix. Microwave 1 minute (or more).

To this you can add any flavorings as desired. So far I've only added a bit of sweetener, but you can make it savory as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

*** I should clarify that I'm not looking for a commercial "egg substitute" product, but rather an ingredient(s) that will function in the same way as the egg used in the recipe.

You might try these, or maybe a small amount of pumpkin instead of mashed banana.

https://plenteousveg.com/vegan-egg-substitutes-baking/

Geila
    Thanks, Jane. Those look good, I'm hoping some of the vegan peeps will share which have worked best for them. I'm trying to find something that doesn't add any carbs, so no fruit, and I don't care for the taste of pumpkin. So far I'm thinking maybe the flax or chia seeds soaked in water and increasing the added fat looks the most promising. Though I don't know how much fat to add in to compensate for the egg. Sometimes this egg and dairy allergy is a real pain in the ass. Apparently soaked chia seeds make pretty good pudding so I'll try that soon too.

A friend suggested this idea some time ago. I never did try though. If you do try this idea, please post your thoughts on the results.
    https://www.thekitchn.com/egg-substi...king-try-95072
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wasn't fond of chia pudding, but I love a good panna cotta made with nut milk. Also, various coffees and teas set up with unflavored gelatin (cream optional) are refreshing. I think my favorite is classic cardamom chai.

Jane, I quite like chia pudding. I was afraid the texture would put me off, but it doesn't. What flavorings did you use? My fave is maple syrup for sweetener with blueberries reduced a bit, and a smidge of vanilla flavoring.

Jane's suggestion of panna cotta from nut milk sent me to google, where a suggestion to use silken tofu for egg was found. Would that work for your recipe, Geila?

It's not the texture that puts me off--I love tapioca--it's the vaguely fruity flavor of the chia seeds. I may try a version like yours, with fruit some day.

I use half nut milk and half cream in my panna cotta.

Geila
    Well, I tried the flax meal with water - what the internet calls a flax egg, or "flegg" - and it's no good. The muffin didn't rise at all and it's dry and crumbly. It's basically a crumble topping; would be good with baked fruit or on top of yogurt with fruit. I'll see if I want to try the chia, not feeling optimistic. And I see that some sites call this a muffin in a mug, and others (like the Atkins recipe site) call it muffin in a minute.

Jane - have you tried agar agar? It sets up super quick, like almost immediately, so you don't have to wait all day to eat it. I've had it in Vietnamese jello cake and it's really good; mocha and coconut are my faves!
    Last edited by Geila; 7-9-19 at 3:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Jane - have you tried agar agar? It sets up super quick, like almost immediately, so you don't have to wait all day to eat it. I've had it in Vietnamese jello cake and it's really good; mocha and coconut are my faves!
    No I haven't--although it's always intrigued me. Maybe I'll put it on my Amazon shopping list.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No I haven't--although it's always intrigued me. Maybe I'll put it on my Amazon shopping list.
    If I remember correctly, it tends to firm up a bit more than jello so it might work really well for nut milks, which tend to be on the watery side.

Thread Information